Police Beat: April 30

Trying to find the way home

A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for minor in possession of alcohol on Saturday at 12:25 a.m.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers were driving north on Cherry Avenue near the University of Arizona Medical Center when they noticed a man, later identified as a student, who was stumbling and struggling to maintain his balance while walking on the side of the street. The officers approached the student, who had made it to Warren Avenue, and they noticed his breath smelled strongly of alcohol, he had red, watery eyes and he continued having difficulty maintaining his balance. The student told the officer he was 20 years old.

The student said he had consumed about five to six Keystone Light beers at a friend’s house and that he received the beer there. The student insisted that he could walk home since it was only a couple of blocks away. The student, however, pointed in the wrong direction when he was trying to point to his house based on the address he provided to the officers. The student also thought he was standing on Vine Avenue and then on Highland Avenue, despite the officers repeatedly telling him that he was standing on Warren Avenue.

The student was diverted through the Dean of Students Office, and the officers provided him a ride home.

I fought the law

A UA student was arrested for having a fake out-of-state license and minor in possession of alcohol on Thursday at 1:54 a.m. near the Steward Observatory Mirror Laboratory.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers noticed a man standing by himself in a parking lot next to an empty car. The man was staring toward Sixth Street and did not change his expression when the officers pulled up near him. An officer approached him, and after being asked twice if he was OK, the man finally acknowledged the officer, who was now 2 feet away from him, and said he was OK. The officer could smell alcohol coming from the man’s breath. The man then swayed and almost fell into the officer.

The officers asked the man for identification, and he took out his wallet and showed them an Arizona driver’s license. When the wallet was open, an officer noticed an Oregon driver’s license as well. The man admitted that he was not 21 years old, but would not say where or how much he had drunk. A records check showed the man was a UA student.

The student admitted that Oregon driver’s license, which listed his age as 21, was fake. The student continually put his hands in his pockets, despite the officers telling him to keep his hands out where they could see them. The student then began cursing and yelling at the officers. He refused to say where he lived and refused to call a cab to take him home.

The student then began spitting and became argumentative with officers. He shouted that he knew his rights and that the officers were harassing him. The officers then arrested the student for minor in possession and possessing a fake out-of-state license and took him to Pima County Jail. During the drive, the student continued cursing at the officers and shouting that he would sue them if they didn’t pull over. The student continued this behavior when they arrived at the jail, and Pima County Corrections officers took him into booking early.

The fake Oregon driver’s license was placed into evidence and a Code of Conduct violation was completed to be forwarded to the Dean of Students Office.