Olson hires 3rd assistant

UA head coach Lute Olson laughs as he fields questions at a 2003 press conference.

Lute Olson has completed his coaching staff.

The UA men’s basketball head coach named Reggie Geary as an assistant coach Wednesday.

Geary, 34, returns to the Wildcat program after playing for Olson from 1992-96 and serving as the recruiting and basketball operations coordinator during the 2005-06 season. Geary was originally hired as a UA assistant coach in June 2005 before being moved to the coordinator position a month later.

For the majority of the past two years, Geary has been the head coach of the Anaheim Arsenal in the National Basketball Association’s Development League, where he strung together a 36-39 (.480) record.

“”My family and I are excited to come back to a program, a university and a community that we hold so dear,”” Geary said in a press release. “”I’ve learned a great deal over the last two years away from this program and I’m eager to get back and work alongside coach Olson.””

Geary was one of two candidates for Arizona’s third coaching position, along with Wyking Jones, who played at LMU from 1991-95 and was a coach at Peperdine under Paul Westphal.

Jones is currently a team manager for a Nike traveling team and has many connections to players and coaches in the AAU circuit.

Jones was offered an administrative position from Olson, according to GOAZCATS.com, but he turned it down to stay with Nike. NCAA rules allow three assistant coaches on a team. Russ Pennell and Mike Dunlap fill the other two spots.

Geary spent the 2004-05 season as the assistant varsity boy’s basketball coach at Flowing Wells High School in Tucson. He was responsible for individual workouts for guards and post players, scouting and game-day preparation. Geary helped the Caballeros to a 17-10 record in 2004-05 and an appearance in the 5A state playoffs.

After his playing days with the Wildcats, Geary was picked in the second round of the 1996 NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers. He played two seasons in the NBA and averaged 2.1 points, 1.1 assists and 9.2 minutes per game over 101 career games with the Cavs (1996-97) and the San Antonio Spurs (`997-98).

“”We’re happy to have Reggie back on the staff,”” Olson said through the UA. “”I think the D-League was a good experience for him and I know he and his family are excited to be back in Tucson. This will be an easy transition for everyone.””

Geary also spent two seasons in the Continental Basketball Association (1998-2000) before playing professionally in Israel, Portugal, France and the Ukraine. His closed his playing career in 2003-04 with B.C. Kiev in the Ukraine. Additionally, Geary served as an NBA/NBDL Ambassador in Argentina and Brazil in 2001.

Geary, a 6-foot-2 guard, led the Wildcats to a 104-23 (.819) record, two Pacific 10 Championships (1992, 1994) and a berth in the 1994 Final Four. He ended his career as Arizona’s all-time steals leader (208) and ranked third in assists (560). He still ranks fourth and sixth, respectfully, in the categories.

Geary averaged 7 points, 3.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game for the Wildcats.

Arizona Daily Wildcat