TriCats set pace for solid season

University of Arizona TriCat members Cameron Green and Michael Shufeldt competed in the ITU Duathlon World Championships Saturday in Concord, N.C., at NASCAR’s Lowe’s Motor Speedway.

Green satisfied his goal of finishing the race in less than two hours as he placed 41st overall with a finishing time of 1:51:12. Shufeldt took 370th place out of the 577 total competitors in the pair’s age group and completed the event in 2:18:08.

Green and Shufeldt represented team USA and were the only two participants from Tucson.

In all, there were 14 athletes from the state of Arizona represented in the weekend’s international competition.

Green finished with the second-fastest time for an Arizonan; his teammate Shufeldt finished with the seventh fastest of the 14.

Meanwhile, TriCats president Matt Ward and the remaining company took to Elephant Butte, N.M., for the Elephant Man Triathlon on Sunday.

“”We finished first overall in the Mountain Collegiate Triathlon Conference, beating teams like the Air Force Academy and New Mexico State,”” Ward said.

The race included a one-mile swim, 26-mile bike and six-mile run.

The competition awarded individuals on the podium, naming TriCats Neil Segel and Chris Green second and third place, respectively, on the men’s side.

Ward said he was very impressed with the TriCats’ performance as the team members showed poise on the technical hills and bike course’s turns.

Besides training and skill, the New Mexico weather was a big factor in the TriCat victory.

“”It was like the mid-70s by the time we finished the race,”” Ward said. “”Having trained in the Tucson heat, racing somewhere cooler, it was like no big deal.””