Arizona Softball finished out its second sweep in two weeks in the Bear Down Fiesta tournament

Nathanial Stenchever

Izzy Pacho, one of the infielders on the Arizona softball team, throws the ball to third on Friday, March 4 at Rita Hilbrand Memorial Stadium. After a slow start, the Wildcats would win 11-3.

There is absolutely nothing stopping the No. 8 Arizona softball team as they swept the Bear Down Fiesta, which marks their second consecutive tournament sweep. The Wildcats started off the weekend defeating Yale 5-1 in seven innings. 

Friday (3/11) vs Yale

In the Wildcats’ first-ever matchup against Yale, Arizona cruised to a 5-1 victory. Yale’s only run came in the first inning as catcher Sam Goodcase homered to left field. The Cats weren’t going to let that slide as they took over in the fifth and sixth innings. During the bottom of the fifth, Arizona sophomore infielder Carlie Scupin RBI singled to left field to bring in 2 runs. Then sophomore utility Allie Skaggs finished out the game with a 3-run homer to center field. 

Saturday (3/12) vs UNLV

In their first matchup against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in 7 years, the Wildcats took down an impressive 17-5 UNLV team with a score of 7-2. Arizona came out swinging in the first inning putting up four runs early. Scupin started off with a solo home-run to center field, which was followed by a 3-run homer to left field from catcher Bailey Thompson. 

In the top of the 3rd inning, UNLV’s Mia Trejo 2-run singled down to left-center field to put a couple of runs on the board. Scupin then sacrificed a flyout to left field to bring in another run for the Cats. The game was finished with a 2-run homer from sophomore utility Giulia Koutsoyanopulos win the game 7-2.

RELATED: No. 8 Arizona softball looks like a force to be reckoned with as they sweep the Wildcat Invitational

Saturday (3/12) vs Marist

This game was an absolute slugfest as the Wildcats made a huge statement with an 11-0 victory over Marist in five innings. This was Arizona’s first of two matchups against the Red Foxes in this tournament. Scupin struck again as she RBI singled down to center field. During the second inning, freshman infielder Amber Toven homered to center field. 

Skaggs and Scupin put up a pair of homers during the third inning to give the Cats a 4-0 lead. Toven then followed up with her second homer of the night, bringing in three runs. The 4th inning is where the Wildcats put this game to bed as Scupin RBI doubled to center, Thompson 2-run RBI doubled to right field, and Toven RBI singled to right field to bring in the final score of the night at 11-0.

Sunday (3/13) vs Marist

In their second consecutive matchup against Marist, the Wildcats took care of business once again to complete the sweep of the Bear Down Fiesta. While Marist was able to put a couple of runs on the board this game, it wasn’t enough to take down Arizona. 

Scupin started off the game with a 2-run homer to right, which was immediately followed by another 2-run homer to center field by sophomore catcher Sharlize Palacios. Then sophomore outfielder Jasmine Perezchica and Skaggs both RBI singled to shortstop to put a pair of runs on the board for the Cats in the first inning. 

To start the second inning, senior utility Hannah Martinez 3-run homered to center field to give the Cats a comfortable 9-0 lead. During the third inning, junior catcher/infielder Izzy Pacho hit a 3-run homer to center field herself to give Arizona their last 3 runs of the night. Marist tried their best to catch up but was only able to put up 2 runs in the fourth inning. Miah McDonald RBI doubled to right-center field, then Morgan Gianelle RBI singled up the middle to give Marist their last run of the game. The Wildcats took the victory 12-2 in five innings. 

The Wildcats now have their work cut out for them as they begin Pac-12 play this upcoming weekend. They face off in a three-game series against UCLA starting Saturday, March 19 at 5 p.m. at Easton Stadium in Los Angeles. 

Follow Sam Gillman on Twitter