UA: More gen eds

Budget restructuring, precise planning and new agreements between departments and the provost were a few steps being taken to ensure class availability for next year’s general education courses as registration kicked off over the weekend.

New agreements called “”responsibility compacts”” are intended to get departments to stop relying on temporary funds given out in the middle of the year, said Jerry Hogle, vice provost of instruction.

“”By giving people more money in the middle of the year, it’s usually been temporary funds for which we make permanent commitments,”” Hogle said. “”That’s one of the reasons we’ve gotten into this situation to begin with.””

As long as the departments realize the budget they receive at the beginning of the year is their entire budget and they fulfill their obligations, there shouldn’t be a problem, Hogle said.

The likelihood of classes being canceled for the fall is not as great as it is in the spring.

“”Enrollments are about 90 percent in the spring of what they are in the fall,”” Hogle said. “”If there are going to be problems of possible class shortages, we like to shift them to the spring in the hopes that we won’t need those classes anyway.””

The Provost’s Office also asked the Office of Enrollment Management to do a program showing registration for courses on the first day of classes in various subject areas.

“”For example, this past fall when classes opened, we had 60 unclaimed seats,”” Hogle said. “”That’s hitting a bull’s-eye. That’s better than 60 people wanting seats that they can’t have.””

The program also estimated that there are going to be 400 more students this fall in addition to the incoming freshman class, which is typically more than 6,000 students.

The estimation of 400 was based on a three-year average of which Tier One, Tier Two and Foundations courses students enrolled in.

Enrollment is expected to increase from 59,517 student seats to 61,505, and Hogle said the administration has planned for that.

“”The president did pledge a certain amount of money for the new students that would be exempt from cuts, right up front,”” Hogle said. “”And that’s the money we’re using to make sure.””

If these estimates don’t work out, Hogle said he has a contingency fund in case students are flowing more toward one section than another.

Additionally, the study also found the average number of units this past fall was 14.4, the highest it has been in some time.

“”That means we’re getting students the classes that give them a full load,”” Hogle said.

While students may not be getting exactly what they want or their first choice of INDV, NATS and TRAD courses, they are still getting classes.

“”That means to us that students are finding a place and they’re making progress toward their degree and they’re not blocked in their progress,”” Hogle said. “”And we have projected what the enrollment is likely to be and we’re going to have those seats paid for by the time class starts.””