5K run to benefit Diamond Center

The Student Health Advisory Committee is holding the fourth annual Run for Your Life 5K run/walk on the UA Mall on Saturday.

The course spans most of the UA campus and totals 3.1 miles.

The Student Health Advisory Committee is a student-based group with about 20 members. They work in conjunction with Campus Health Service to create health awareness.

“”We’re telling people to get out there, walk, run and be active. Activity and active lifestyles are extremely important for people our age,”” said Maggie Saccomano, a senior physiology major.

About 150 people are expected to show up to the event on Saturday.

“”The number has slowly increased since its start in 2007, but this year our numbers did not improve like we hoped it would due to other race events scheduled for the same date,”” said Lyandra Rodriguez, Student Health Advisory Committee co-director.

The Student Health Advisory Committee’s last Run for Your Life fundraiser raised about $2,000. The money raised was donated to different organizations within Tucson. The group is expecting to make another $2,000 this year. Proceeds will benefit the Tucson Community Food Bank and the Diamond Children’s Medical Center.

Proceeds that are donated to Diamond Children’s Medical Center will be used to purchase equipment, building projects, waiting room furniture and anything that benefits children that are being treated.

“”We are delighted and honored that we were considered by the university to receive donations,”” said Vivian Fellom, an administrative coordinator at the UMC Foundation.

The Student Health Advisory Committee is helping out the UA 4 Food Campaign by donating a portion of their proceeds to the Tucson Community Food Bank. At the food bank, money will be used towards a children’s nutrition program.

“”We are very grateful for the university’s donation,”” said Jack Parris, the Tucson Community Food Bank Public Relations Manager. “”All of these events help us a great deal with donations over a period of time.””

— IF YOU PARTICIPATE

The top three runners will receive a free gift certificate for a sports massage. Other prizes include pedometers, water bottles, UA gift baskets, T-shirts and other goodies.

The cost of the race is $20. People that wish to participate in the run can register on the Run for Your Life Web site or at the event on Saturday morning.

Check-in for the event begins at 8 a.m. at the west end of the UA Mall.

Students are encouraged to wear light-colored clothes and dress for a warm day. Water stations are located along the course to keep participants hydrated.