Fashion Facts

Students carry books – it’s basically a known and proven fact. Students carrying cute bags to hold said books … not always the case. This was the predicament, however, with a select few students spotted on campus yesterday carrying totes and backpacks that were far from a faux pas.

-photos by Jacob Rader

Bo Schwabachei, a creative writing junior, describes her personal style as symbolic.

“”A lot of the different things (I wear) come from people I care about,”” Schwabachei said.

Schwabachei estimates her bag cost around $12. She prefers it over others for its utility benefits.

“”I chose it because it has a tiger on it and it comes with a compass,”” Schwabachei said.

When asked about the extremely large tote fad that some female students are supporting, Schwabachei said she would “”spend a dollar on that.””

“”(A backpack) is really practical because I carry a lot of books and it equally distributes the weight,”” Schwabachei said.

Josh Kurek, a junior majoring in math and physiology, had one word to describe his style: skateboarder.

“”I’ve been skating for 12 years so I guess that puts me under the category,”” he said.

Kurek, who was also sporting what looked like spankin’ new Emerica kicks, had a Timbuk2 messenger bag strapped around his shoulders, making it very easy for him to function on his transportation choice.

“”It’s excellent for riding your bike around town … it doesn’t move,”” Kurek said.

Kurek’s bag would describe him as “”kind of anal,”” he explained.

“”If you look on the inside, everything’s all nerdy,”” Kurek said.

Another plus to Kurek’s bag: “”It carries a whole shit-ton of stuff.””

Graduate student and staff member Chris White, opted for the European look – literally. White got his leather briefcase in Athens, Greece about ten years ago for around $10.

“”It’s cool for $10. (I look for) longevity and economy – I suppose some fashion is involved,”” White said.

The grad student would describe his personal style as disheveled, confessing he has no shoes to match his European bag. White did not have much to say about the large tote trend, only that it “”works if it’s your own personal style.””

“”I’m never going to hear the end of this from my boss,”” White said after his photo was snapped.