New Speaker Series will feature Tarana Burke, founder of the #MeToo movement

Alexandra Pere

Centennial Hall was built in 1937 and was originally named, the Main Auditorium, before its renovation in 1985. It hosts a wide variety of performing arts including musicals, plays, comedians, ballets and more!

The University of Arizona Consortium on Gender-Based Violence will be hosting a new Speaker Series event, featuring two talks on Sept. 19 and Oct. 30. 

Activist, professor and author Lacy M. Johnson will lead the first talk, reading a section from her new book, “The Reckonings,” and hold a Q&A session. There will be a book signing immediately after the event.

The event will take place in the Holsclaw Hall in the Fred Fox School of Music at 5:30 p.m. The tickets to Johnson’s talk are free; however, they must be reserved on eventbrite.com

The second event will feature Tarana Burke, founder of the #MeToo Movement. This event is a less formal “fireside chat,” according to the event’s website. It is meant to be a discussion about how the movement has impacted thousands of women’s lives all over the world.

Tickets are not free and must be bought on centhall.org.They are $10 with a CatCard and $15 for general admission. The event will be held at Centennial Hall at 6 p.m. 

The UA Consortium on Gender-Based Violence was launched earlier this year with the aim of conducting research on gender-based violence and engaging the campus in more critical thinking on the subject. This is their first Speaker Series. 

Follow Anika Pasilis on Twitter