Baseball survives for 7th straight

UA third baseman Brad Glenn slings the ball toward first base during a 10-6 win against New Mexico Tuesday night in Albuquerque, N.M. Glenn went 4-for-8 at the plate, scored two runs and notched one RBI in the two-game series as the Wildcats topped the Lobos 4-2 in yesterday afternoons series finale at Isotopes Park.
    UA third baseman Brad Glenn slings the ball toward first base during a 10-6 win against New Mexico Tuesday night in Albuquerque, N.M. Glenn went 4-for-8 at the plate, scored two runs and notched one RBI in the two-game series as the Wildcats topped the Lobos 4-2 in yesterday afternoon’s series finale at Isotopes Park.

Arizona 4, New Mexico

The Arizona baseball team continued its vintage early-season winning ways yesterday with its seventh consecutive victory, beating New Mexico 4-2 at Isotopes Park in Albuquerque, N.M.

Last week’s Pacific 10 Conference Pitcher of the Week provided another quality outing. Junior Ryan Perry (3-2) picked up a win from the bullpen after 2 2/3 innings of one-hit baseball without allowing a walk or a run.

Starting pitcher Grayson Adams began the game with three “”crucial”” quality innings, said UA head coach Andy Lopez, allowing one run on four hits in a spot start.

Combined with co-closer Jason Stoffel’s one inning save – his sixth of the year – yesterday’s collective pitching staff effort survived and allowed Arizona (22-11) to sweep New Mexico (24-14).

The Wildcats have now won seven of eight games since April 5.

“”We’re playing more confidently and we’re doing the things we were doing earlier in the year,”” Lopez said. “”It’s formed itself back and going in our direction.””

Similar to what propelled their 12-2 record that begun the season, the Wildcats routinely relied on a different hero to emerge each game.

After Dwight Childs took last night’s spotlight with his first career home run – a grand slam that resulted in a 10-6 victory, both catcher Daniel Butler and third baseman Brad Glenn combined for four hits and two RBIs in otherwise sparse offensive production.

Said Lopez of the emerging talent: “”That’s usually what happens when you get on a big (winning) streak. The reason why we got into (the mid-season losing streak was) because nobody was coming through at the plate.

“”(Now), different guys are getting the opportunities, and when they come up, they’re cashing in on them.””

Arizona took the 3-1 lead in the fifth inning after sacrifice flies from both left fielder Diallo Fon and first baseman C.J. Ziegler. Lopez said although the Wildcats’ offense has surged in the past two weeks, yesterday’s down day still provided a win.

“”We made it work,”” Lopez said. “”We only got four runs – we had opportunities but we just didn’t cash in. But we pitched well and did a good job.””

Opportunities

We made it work. We only got
    four runs – we had opportunities but we just didn’t cash in. But we pitched well and did a good job.

– Andy Lopez,
    head coach

not only with Arizona’s bats, but New Mexico’s offense also set itself up with chances to score. Although both teams left a combined 19 runners on base, the Wildcats’ season-high three double plays on defense often killed the Lobos’ momentum, despite committing three errors.

Center fielder T.J. Steele left five runners on base himself.

“”We’re playing good baseball now, and hopefully that will continue,”” Lopez said.

Besides Adams, Perry and Stoffel, Arizona’s pitching staff excelled between those gaps – Matt Chaffee recorded 1 1/3 innings of one-hit baseball and co-closer Daniel Schlereth pitched flawless in the eighth inning with no hits and one strikeout.

Extra bases

Perry extended his scoreless inning streak to 12 1/3 after last week’s 9 2/3 shutout innings against San Diego State and Indiana State. …

Left-handed pitcher Eric Berger missed yesterday’s game due to a school-related trip to Phoenix. …

Arizona’s completion of the New Mexico trip now leaves only two road series on the season, at Oregon State on April 25 and at California on May 2.