Track and field Wildcats fight for NCAA Championship spot

Five Wildcats will compete this weekend in two meets for their last chance to qualify for the NCAA Championships.

Representing the No. 13 women’s track and field team is senior thrower Taylor Freeman and sophomore thrower Baillie Gibson, who will both head to Ames, Iowa for the Iowa State Qualifier on Saturday.

Senior distance runner Jen Bergman and sophomore distance runner Nicci Corbin will also represent the women’s squad in Seattle, Wash. at the University of Washington Final Qualifier on Friday.

In Seattle, Bergman will compete in the 5,000-meter. Currently, Bergman’s personal best time of 16:00.66 is No. 16 in the nation, which was set at the MPSF Championships last weekend.

Corbin is set to compete in the mile. At the Husky Classic on Feb. 8, Corbin posted her personal best time of 4:40.88, which is No. 34 in the country.

In Iowa, Freeman will compete in the weight throw. Freeman’s personal best mark of 66 feet, 0.5 inches at the MPSF Championships last weekend is the 26th best toss in the nation this year.

Gibson will compete in the shot put. This year, Gibson’s season best toss of 54 feet, 4.75 inches holds the No. 19 spot in the country. Gibson made this mark at the Don Kirby Invite on Feb. 8.