Police Beat: Nov. 20

Chap consumes cannabis, circumvents cops

University of Arizona Police Department officers went to the Villa del Puente Residence Hall on Nov. 11 at 11:18 p.m. in reference to multiple people in the porch area possibly smoking marijuana.

Upon arrival, officers observed a man wearing dark-colored shorts and a gray hooded sweatshirt in the immediate area. The man was holding a brown cigarette. When he saw officers approaching, he threw the cigarette into a trashcan and began walking away.

Officers retrieved the cigarette and determined that it contained burnt marijuana. They attempted to contact the man and ordered him to stop, but he began running. A search of the area was conducted but officers were unable to locate the man. Witnesses on scene were unwilling to identify the man to police. The marijuana was taken into police property to be destroyed.

Couple contemplates move to California

UnAPD officers went to the La Paz Residence Hall on Nov. 12 at 2:03 p.m. in order to conduct a welfare check on a resident.

Upon arrival, officers met with a resident assistant. The RA led officers to a room and told police that she heard a man and a woman inside and it sounded like they were distraught and crying. Officers listened at the door and could hear voices coming from inside.

They knocked on the door and the voices stopped, but nobody responded to the knocking. They knocked again and identified themselves as police officers. A woman answered the door and stepped outside to talk to police while an officer went into the room to speak to the man.

According to the woman, the man was her boyfriend of one year. The woman was upset because she felt that if she failed any of her exams, she would be forced to leave school and move back to California. The woman denied that they were arguing or that any physical confrontation had occurred. The man confirmed the woman’s story and also denied that any physical violence had taken place.

Officers advised the woman to return to her room to defuse the situation. They also advised her to seek assistance if she felt that she needed it and gave her contact information for Counseling and Psychological Services.

Man gets a quickie outside of dorm

UAPD officers responded to the Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall on Nov. 12 at 8:15 p.m. in reference to a man possibly smoking marijuana in the area. On arrival, officers met with the community director. He told police that he was entering the residence hall when he noticed the smell of marijuana near the front door. He asked several people who were nearby if they noticed the smell and they stated that they did. The community director then made contact with a man who at first denied but then admitted to smoking marijuana. Officers made contact with the man inside the director’s office.

The man told police that he had been studying in his room but had decided to go outside to smoke marijuana. He then produced what he called a “”quick hitter,”” which police described as a metal pipe that looked like a tobacco cigarette.

Officers asked the man if he had any more marijuana in his possession and he stated that he did not, but offered that he might have some in his room. In a desk in his room, police found a medicine bottle containing a green, leafy substance. The bottle had a total weight of 11.4 grams.

The man told officers that he bought the marijuana from an unknown man for $40. He further told police he was given the man’s number from a friend but no longer had it in his possession. He was diverted to the Dean of Students Office in lieu of arrest.

Police bruise cruiser

UAPD officers were responding to an incident at the intersection of Highland Avenue and 10th Street on Nov. 13 at 11:55 p.m. when they were involved in a vehicle collision. According to police, a fully marked Ford police cruiser was being repositioned in the southwest corner of the intersection when it struck a fire hydrant. The fire hydrant was unharmed but the cruiser sustained minor damage to passenger side of the rear bumper. Photographs were taken as evidence. No injuries were reported.

Man faces police but fears mother

UAPD officers were on patrol near the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall on Nov. 14 at approximately 12:48 a.m. when they observed a man being assisted by another man. The man being assisted appeared to be having difficulty walking and was being supported by his friend. Officers contacted the pair and helped the man sit down.

According to police, his speech was slurred and his eyes were watery and bloodshot. Officers asked the man if he had been drinking and he stated that he had not. Officers asked the man if he had been using any drugs and he stated that he had not. Officers asked why the man needed his friend to help him walk.

The man asked police not to tell his mother and then admitted that he had been drinking “”too much.”” He told police he had been drinking Bacardi but then stated it had only been a little because he claimed he was “”a lightweight.””

Emergency Medical technicians from the Tucson Fire Department arrived on scene to evaluate the man’s condition. They determined that he did not need to be transported to University Medical Center and cleared him for release. Officers released the man and he was escorted to his room. Officers returned to the residence hall at 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 14 and contacted the man. Based on his admissions earlier in the day, he was cited on charges of underage person with spirituous liquor in the body and released.