UPDATE: Second suspect in Bio5 shooting turns self in

Alex McIntyre

UAPD officers cluster near a police vehicle outside of the Thomas W. Keating Building/BIO5 after responding to a call of shots fired on Wednesday, April 27, 2016. UAPD and Tucson Police Department S.W.A.T. team made an arrest connected to the shooting Monday morning. 

UPDATE 5/3/16, 8:11 p.m.

A second suspect in the Bio5 shooting turned himself in late this morning, according to a UAPD press release

Jahron David Francis, 29, turned himself in at Pima County Jail at 11:15 a.m. where he was booked for aggravated robbery. 

The investigation is ongoing. This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

UPDATE 5/2/16, 3:40 p.m.

The University of Arizona Police Department and Tucson Police Department SWAT team announced an arrest Monday afternoon from Wednesday night’s shooting near the Bio5 building on the UA campus.

Christopher Eugene, 29, was arrested without incident Monday morning at his residence, according to a press release.

The press release stated Eugene is being held on three felony charges including two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and one count of aggravated robbery.

UAPD was able to gather evidence and determine Eugene’s involvement as the individual responsible for the shooting, according to the press release. Eugene and the victim have no affiliation with the university.

No mug was made available at this time, as the case is still under investigation. This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

The person of interest in a shooting at the Bio5 building last night was located at a local hospital, according to a UAPD Clery Timely Warning Notice sent to all students this morning. 

A 23 year-old male sought assistance at approximately 9:00 p.m., Wednesday night, for a non-life threatening gunshot wound in his buttocks, according to the notice. The victim was treated and released as of this morning. 

Police were able to identify the wounded male as the person of interest described in Wednesday night’s UAlert messages. 

The victim told UAPD that he had ridden the Sun Link streetcar to the Warren Avenue stop, directly across the street from the Bio5 building and Drachman Hall. He was then approached by three African-American males, who then shot at the victim, striking him once in the buttocks, according to the notice. 

The three suspects then fled in a “dark colored SUV,” according to the victim, and are still at large at this time. 

UAPD urges for anyone with information regarding the crime to call at (520) 621-8273, or to call 911. 

Officers on the scene found bullet casings and blood near the Thomas W. Keating Bioresearch Building, according to Officer Rene Hernandez, public information officer for the University of Arizona Police Department.

UAPD has sent a final update indicating the Bio5 building has been cleared and there is no threat to campus, according to the latest UAlert.

“We are currently trying searching for who that blood belongs to,” Hernandez said, adding that there have been no reports of gunshot victims from the nearby Banner — Health University Medical Center. 

Officers have also closed off Helen St. in front of the Bio5 building between near Campbell Ave. and Cherry Ave. 

The UAPD issued a UAlert about a report regarding shots fired near the Bio5 building on campus. The building is home to UA researchers and is in close proximity to the Banner — Health University Medical Center. 

UAPD has released a tweet with the description a person of interest:

“Person of interest 5’10 male Chicago Bulls hat spiky hair white shirt khaki pants tan backpack call 911 if you see this man”

The courtyard between Drachman Hall and the Bioresearch Building is currently taped off from the public.  

UAPD Public Information Officer Sgt. Filbert Barrera said UAPD received one call reporting three shots around the area. Barrera said UAPD has also checked with the emergency room at the medical center and has found no indication that someone has been involved in a recent shooting, except for blood found at the scene.

Barrera urges students and faculty to stay clear of the area and to follow UAPD on Twitter for updates. 

Keep up with the story here and through tweets on Storify

Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter