5 steps to having more and being healthy

More often than not, getting healthy is associated with the worst combination of less and more — less of what you love and more of what you hate; less of that sweet refrigerator glow on your face at 2 a.m. and more shirking of the afternoon latte, the lone source of energy and comfort that sustains you after a two-and-a-half-hour class period of suffering.

It is here and now we say “”No more!”” No more caffeine-deprived head-bobbing; no more crankiness due to lack of chocolate; no more growling stomachs for fear of calorie overload. OK, so maybe you still cannot have everything you want while maintaining optimal health, but it is possible to have more of what you crave while doing your body good at the same time. Campus Health’s Certified Specialist and Sports Dietetics Nutritionist Gale Welter suggests five “”Mores”” that your taste buds and body will love.

1. More water

Yes, please! It is simple but often overlooked. We basically are water, and we all know what happens to puddles in Arizona heat — they evaporate, dry up, disappear. Not our goal. So keep the flow of H2O constant. Are eight glasses a day enough? Maybe, maybe not — it depends on the foods you eat, what percentage of water they contain and the size of your body. Here is an easy way to make sure you are staying hydrated.

What is in your toilet bowl?

Lemonade: Got it made.

Apple juice: Lube your sluice.

Better hydration means better focus, more energy and a better complexion, giving you a healthy glow. Not really hungry but thinking about eating something anyway? Drink a cold glass of water instead — a great way to maintain hydration while stretching out your stomach so you feel full.

2. & 3. More fruits, more veggies

Keep them coming! There is generally no rule about saying “”when”” to these helpings, though four to five servings combined makes up what you should be consuming every day. Fruits and vegetables are nearly bursting with vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients, and they are chock-full of water.

Natural sugars found in produce are exceptional replacements to the cheap, high fructose corn syrups and processed sugars mixed into a lot of the products lining supermarket shelves. Natural sugars develop in fruits and vegetables in the right proportion; processed sugars weren’t and generally aren’t and cannot offer the same results. More produce means more water and nutrient intake, more energy, better concentration and more antioxidants to keep your skin looking young.

4. More breakfast (that means every day!)

Sounds great, but do you have the time? Bet you do! It is a common misconception that in order to eat breakfast you need to set aside half an hour for eggs, toast, pancakes, cereal, whatever — but simply scarfing down half a yogurt or half a banana 30 minutes after waking up is more than enough to get your body going.

Welter likens the body to a machine: Without breakfast, you begin your day running on fumes, idling through classes, meetings and errands. Just half a banana can power you up, providing necessary energy to kick-start your metabolism and sharpen your concentration through the grog-fog.

5. More saying ‘yes’ to what you crave (in moderation)

Go ahead and have that latte! Really, not kidding; though it is important to remain cognizant of what you eat, some of your favorite treats actually have notable advantages.

Skinny latte: It seems like more of an indulgence than a bodily benefit, but the protein, calcium and carbohydrates found in milk offer a little pick-me-up and some necessary nutrients.

Dark chocolate or cocoa: An ounce can satisfy your craving and provide valuable nutrients such as potassium, calcium, copper and magnesium. The cocoa bean is full of flavanol antioxidants as well, which have been linked to benefitting heart health. 

Wine: Five ounces for women and 10 ounces for men have proven to be a great de-stresser, lowering oxidation levels in the body. Red wine in particular is recognized for its antioxidant properties, an added advantage for the wine drinker.

Chocolate milk: The value of this dessert-like beverage, Welter notes, far exceeds a Snickers bar — and she likes Snickers. It is a fantastic choice if you are craving something sweet, and it makes a great post-workout recovery beverage. Chocolate milk is packed with calcium, protein and carbohydrates. It functions as a re-hydrator, an energy-packer and helps your body repair its physical structures.

Juice: Nutrient- and calorie-rich, it is an optimal weight-gain beverage for those looking to add on pounds. For those who are not, make sure you enjoy no more than 8-16 ounces a day.

Diet sodas: Having at most a 20-ounce container a day is not such a bad thing, especially if it helps to keep you away from a bag of chips. Keep in mind, however, that there is some evidence suggesting that artificial sweeteners stimulate a habituated craving for more sweets.