Police Beat: July 2

I smell something Phish-y

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on routine patrol on First Street when one officer detected a strange odor on June 22.

The officer was passing a group of four men on the corner of First Street and Martin Avenue when he smelled a strong odor of burning marijuana. Upon seeing the UAPD patrol car, the men began quickly walking north on Martin. UAPD officers made contact with the group, and one of the men admitted to possessing and smoking marijuana. He handed over a glass pipe and 3.3 grams of marijuana. UAPD cited the man for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia and released him. The pipe and the marijuana were seized and secured into evidence.

Mischief Managed

UAPD officers met with a resident assistant at Colonia de la Paz residence hall on a report of malicious mischief on June 22. The RA said that someone had sprayed a fire extinguisher in the hallway some time between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. Upon inspection, UAPD officers found dry powder extinguisher residue throughout the hallway, but the hall’s fire extinguisher was still in the wall cabinet. There will be no further investigation by UAPD.

Double Whammy

UAPD investigated a traffic accident involving a UAPD patrol car on June 23. Responding officers were told by the officer on the scene that she was stopped at a red light on Speedway Boulevard at its intersection with Mountain Avenue at 9 a.m. A Toyota Highlander travelling west on Speedway failed to yield to eastbound traffic collided with a Chrysler PT Cruiser before hitting the officer’s patrol car. The driver of the PT Cruiser complained of neck and shoulder pains and was transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center. The Highlander and the PT Cruiser were towed and the accident is being further investigated by the Tucson Police Department.