Police Beat

Public pervert peers at pornography

A man was arrested on Feb. 18 at 11:24 a.m.

Police responded to the library in reference to a suspicious man. The person who called officers said that the man had been viewing pornography on a computer in front of other library patrons and he found it offensive.

When police arrived on scene and approached the man, he tried to close the window he was viewing the pornography in, but could only minimize it. The man told police that he occasionally comes to campus to watch pornography on the computers, but he did not realize that anyone could see his actions.

A records check of the man showed that he had four misdemeanor warrants, three from the Tucson Police Department and one from the Pima County Sheriff’s Office.

The warrants were confirmed and the man was taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked for his warrants.

Do the parking lot scuffle shuffle

A man was charged with trespassing and assault by TPD after an incident near the UA campus Feb. 18 at 10:10 a.m.

Police responded to the lot east of the Marriott Hotel after a man reported that he had been assaulted by a parking lot attendant. The man claimed that the parking lot attendant sprayed him in the face with mace and hit him on his left side with a cane. The man showed signs of irritation around his eyes and on his face.

Police made contact with the parking lot attendant. He told officers that the man approached him after a ticket was placed on his vehicle. The attendant told the man that he needed to pay for parking. The man became upset and started yelling and cursing at the attendant. The man then ripped the parking ticket up and threw it in the attendant’s face when he was asked to leave. The attendant said that the man then raised his right arm up like he was going to strike the attendant. The attendant then raised his arm to protect himself and pepper sprayed the man. The man then picked up a rock and lifted it in the air like he was going to hit the attendant with it, and started yelling “”What did you do to me?”” The man then left the lot to get some water for his eyes.

The man returned a few minutes later and began cussing and yelling before pushing the attendant. The man spit in the attendant’s face and left the parking lot when an assistant manager at the Marriott told him police were on the way. Three witnesses confirmed the information with police.

The man told officers that he had been parking in that lot for over a year and a half without paying and he felt that he should not have to pay because he gets there before 7 a.m., when the fees start. He acknowledged that he was there after the fee had started, but felt like he was being singled out because he had refused to pay parking fees in the past when confronted by attendants. The man also said that he had been told by attendants in the past that he could no longer park in the lot and that he would be charged with trespassing if he did.

TPD took over the case because it was in their jurisdiction. The man was arrested and charged with assault and trespassing.

Crying couple comfronted by cops

A man and woman were diverted to the Dean of Student’s Office for being minors in possession of alcohol Feb. 20 at 9:53 p.m.

Police responded to the Coronado Residence Hall to check the welfare of a man passed out on the benches near the building.

When police arrived, they found a man and a woman arguing.

The man was lying on the bench and had thrown up near it. He smelled strongly of intoxicants and told the officer that he had been drinking beer. The man was crying and apologizing. He could not walk straight and his words were slurred. The man was identified as a member of the Sigma Pi fraternity.

The woman had a slight odor of alcohol on her breath. She was also crying.

Police explained the Diversion Program and released them.

Another minor in possession at Coronado…

A man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol Feb. 20 at 10:10 p.m.

Police responded to the Coronado Residence Hall in reference to a drunk man. When they arrived, they found the man on the floor; he smelt strongly of alcohol. He was unable to answer any questions correctly and could not sit or stand without assistance.

Tucson Fire Department arrived on scene and transported the man to UMC for intoxication.

Police returned to UMC at 3:00 a.m. to speak with the man. He was cited and released on scene and referred to the Dean of Student’s Office.

Inebriate walks out with Zinfandel

Police arrested a man for shoplifting Feb. 20 at 7:47 a.m.

They responded to the Circle K on Speedway Boulevard. A police aide reported a man who had taken alcohol and the employees wanted to press charges.

Police found the subject in the Subway down the street. While talking to the man, they saw a wine bottle sticking out of his pants pocket. The man also had a strong odor of intoxicants coming from his breath, slurred speech, red, bloodshot, watery eyes, and he could not stand.

The man told police that he went to the Circle K to purchase the alcohol, but the employee would not sell it to him.

The clerk told police she would not sell the man alcohol because he was too intoxicated. He then took a 500-milliliter carton of Vendage White Zinfandel, placed it in his pocket and departed the store without paying. The clerk said she and the other employees asked the man to pay, but he ignored them and walked out of the store.

The man was arrested for shoplifting. He was taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked on the charge. The total price of the wine was $2.99.