‘Passion Parties’ a fad for female students

Forget about hosting a Tupperware or Purse Party; if you want to get a group of women over to your house for a good time, throw a Passion Party.

Passion Parties, at-home parties where a consultant brings various sensual products to display and sell, have become the most popular kind of house party recently, with more than 10,000 held each month across the U.S., according to Pat Davis, president and CEO of Passion Parties, Inc.

The trend is also catching on with UA students.

At a Passion Party, women get the chance to learn about different ways to improve their sex lives, either alone or with their partner.

“”I liked the different lotions – that was fun.
    Seeing all the products and laughing with my girlfriends made it a great night.””

– Caitlyn Campbell,
    family studies and human development senior

“”It was cool how comfortable the consultants made me feel about exploring all the different ways I could use these products,”” said Sarah Merkle, a psychology senior who has attended two Passion Parties. “”I mean, you are sitting in a room with 10 strangers, or at least I was at one of the parties I went to because I only knew the host, and after 10 minutes we were all laughing together and everyone seemed OK with everything.””

Anyone who is older than 18 can host a Passion Party in her home for free.

A consultant brings a variety of products to the host’s home, including lotions, sprays, oils, lubricants and vibrators. The consultant describes the products and teaches the women how to reach their optimal sexual pleasure using each product.

Caitlyn Campbell, a senior majoring in family studies and human development, hosted a Passion Party in the fall with her three roommates.

“”We wanted to have a girls’ night with a bunch of friends,”” Campbell said. “”It was something fun and different to do.””

“”I liked the different lotions – that was fun,”” Campbell said. “”Seeing all the products and laughing with my girlfriends made it a great night.””

Campbell said she thinks Passion Parties are becoming so popular because girls can be in their homes and they are not embarrassed because they are with their friends.

“”I think these are products that girls use or want to use so they get to learn more about it and be in a closed setting,”” Campbell said. “”It’s something new and exciting.””

There are more than 28,000 Passion Party consultants working in the U.S. and Canada hosting parties for women.

“”I think I would be a good consultant because I’m pretty comfortable talking about sex and I think it would be fun,”” Merkle said. “”I wouldn’t ever consider making it a full-time career though.””

Davis said although Passion Parties, Inc., does employ some male consultants, the company primarily tries to recruit women.

“”Our mission is to be a women’s company for women,”” Davis said. “”We really want it to be very comfortable for women.””

Davis said her favorite part about her job and the company she works for are the stories.

“”I love all the stories of how we’ve changed relationships,”” Davis said. “”That’s what we are here for.””

“”I want women to know that it’s OK to take responsibility for your sexual pleasure,”” Davis said. “”I think women are looking for a comfortable environment to learn about this stuff. They are curious and they want to get the answers to the questions that maybe their moms never gave them and do it with a giggle.””