January Netflix Rundown

NBC
Parks and Recreation season 7 poster. The final season was added to Netflix on January 13. Photo Courtesy of NBC.

Well everyone, the semester has officially started. It’s time to get back to the old grind with school, work, clubs and whatever else it is that college students do nowadays. Free time can be hard to come by during these incredibly busy college years, but many college students seem to make time for at least one thing: Netflix. Whether you’re just relaxing by yourself and catching up on one of your favorite shows, or finding that special someone to Netflix and chill with, streaming Netflix always makes for a glorious pastime.

As we ring in the new year, Netflix does the same, removing content and adding more. Here’s a guide to some of its brand new offerings in 2016.

Ben Stiller fans are sure to be happy, as Stiller comedies Meet the the Parents and Meet the Fockers have been added to the queue, as well as an underrated film I believe to be one of his best: Along Came Polly.

2 Fast 2 Furious is now there to satisfy any Netflix adrenaline junkies, along with Catwoman starring Halle Berry. It’s not a good film by any means, but it’s there nonetheless. Speaking of movies that are less than amazing, Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! will also arrive soon. If you want more of the brilliant acting and beautiful writing that made the first two Sharknados so good, this is your answer.

Keanu Reeves fans can get their fix with Constantine, and there’s a variety of new offerings for children as well. If you’re watching with your little brother or sister, or just want to embrace your inner child, chill out withIce Age: The Meltdown, Nanny McPhee, The Tale of Despereaux and the second season of the series Dragons: Race to the Edge, based on the How to Train Your Dragon film series.

Other new film offerings include the critically-acclaimed Jason Schwartzman comedy The Overnight, the FDR biopic Hyde Park on Hudson starring Bill Murray, The Rundown starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and the psychological thriller We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Training Day was also just added, a film that makes it clear just how great of an actor Denzel Washington really is. It’s a perfect way to get your Denzel fix, especially since he was given the Cecil B. DeMille Award at the Golden Globes last week.

Those are some of the film highlights, but as any Netflix-literate individual knows, its real specialty lies with television shows. The vulgar yet hilarious 10th season of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is now available, telling the story of five narcissistic friends who run a bar in South Philly. Season four of New Girl continues to allow Zooey Deschanel to shine with all her quirky glory, and the final season of Parks and Recreation will allow us to say goodbye to one of the best sitcoms of the past decade. Netflix is also reviving an old favorite among teenagers with Degrassi: The Next Class, the series that helped kickstart the career of superstar rapper Drake back in the day.

Chelsea Handler has a new series premiering later this month. Chelsea Does will serve as a prelude to her upcoming talk show and should provide more of the humor and wit her fans have come to expect. Other additions include Adult World, season two of Z Nation, two new Bring It On films, House of Wax, Intolerable Cruelty, Pride and Prejudice, The Wedding Date, Blunt Force Trauma and season one of the PBS show I’ll Have What Phil’s Having, among several other titles.

Now, as we welcome all of this brand new content, we have to say goodbye to some along the way. Unfortunately, brilliant films such as A Clockwork Orange, The Bourne Identity, Gladiator, The Graduate, Jerry Maguire and There Will be Blood are no longer available, as well as the ridiculous yet hilarious male model comedy Zoolander. A variety of children’s programming has also been taken down, as well as several reality shows such as Dance Moms, Duck Dynasty, Hoarders and Pawn Stars.

This should be enough to keep even the most frequent Netflix watcher busy, at least for a little while. So whether you’re chilling and watching Netflix by yourself, or Netflix and chilling with someone else, keep some of these titles in mind the next time you have a break from the college grind or you’re just in the mood for some good ‘ol binge watching.

Follow Alex Kuehnle on Twitter.