Mailbag

Vulgarity in Wildcat inappropriate

Something happened this semester that really turned me off from picking up and reading the Daily Wildcat on a daily basis, which is all the vulgarity that is now published in the paper.

Last year as I was visiting the campus, part of what made me fall in love with the UA and want to come here was the Wildcat. The “”Overheard on Campus”” section was hilarious and starkly different – from what I can tell and from what I’m told – from the “”Overheard”” that is now published. After I read the first “”Overheard”” at the beginning of the semester that was outrageously vulgar, I continued picking up the paper hoping that the content would somehow have cleaned itself up. However, as the semester is now coming to a close it is painfully obvious of the direction the paper is now taking. More than anything, it makes me sad that the paper I once respected for being one of the best, is now no more than tasteless in some parts, and for what? For whom? If the majority of the student body really longs for this type of material to feed themselves every day, that is even more of a sobering realization.

I just feel I shouldn’t have to put up or just take all of the material that is now published. I don’t even pick up the paper anymore because of how tired I am of seeing the degrading material that you allow to be published. And on the days when I do decide to pick up the paper nothing has changed, and somehow it still shocks me.

When I read things like “”…That’s why you’re so good at swallowing”” – as featured in Monday’s paper – it makes me think of parents who come here with their children on tours or whatnot who pick up the paper. Honestly, how does this make our school look? Just because it’s popular to be tasteless and vulgar these days doesn’t mean it’s right.

Jennie Vatoseow
    creative writing sophomore

UA president should take bold action to overcome crisis

To overcome the current budget deficit of $20 million and future fiscal crisis, President Shelton should reduce his salary of $420,000 by 50 percent and order a salary reduction of 30 percent of his upper-level administrators, who make between $100,000 and $400,000. This would free at least $10 million, which could be readily matched by the Arizona Board of Regents, UA Foundation and UA Alumni Association.

The president should also consider the permanent elimination of 75 percent of his upper-level administrator positions. This would release substantial funds to maintain and improve the quality of the university.

Over the years, UA students, faculty and staff have borne most of the sacrifices of hard times in frequent tuition hikes and disruptive layoffs. Now, with the 2009 in-state undergraduate tuition set for nearly 50 percent more than that of 2005, there is the probability that any further reduction in state funding could bring about large-scale and arbitrary layoffs of faculty and staff under a state of “”financial emergency”” approved by the regents. But during the same period of time, the president and his administrative officials have never once offered to reduce the numbers of their positions and cut the excessive amount of their own compensations. In times of severe fiscal stress, it is up to the leadership of the institution to step up and set a bold example to deal with the crisis rather than to offer a vague plan to fix the basic problem around the edges.

According to President Shelton, his Transformation Plan would keep the university a “”world-class”” institution with substantially fewer classes, courses, programs, departments and colleges as well as faculty and staff.

It is highly unlikely that despite his optimism and enthusiasm, Shelton can accomplish more with less. To overcome the pressing fiscal crisis, Shelton would have to make a decision to transform the mindset of an old UA administration into one that remakes university leadership into one of bold personal sacrifices through example. If successful, this Shelton model would be emulated by ASU, NAU and many other universities throughout the country.

Tien Yang
    Tucson resident

Tuition hike will have harmful effect on out-of-state students

The UA is an expensive place to go to school, especially for non-residents. From the tuition to the living expenses to the parking costs; all of these add up, making it rough on many families and students. Now on top of all the expenses, a tuition increase is something new for students to worry about. Many students must work full-time to pay for their school. Money is tight for these students already and now they have to worry about paying more next year. This increase in tuition is going to affect a lot of students’ decisions to come back to the UA next year.

As someone who is a resident, I personally do not have to worry about this as much as out-of-staters. But I feel for them as I have lived with a few who not only had to go to school full-time, but also had to work full-time to pay for school. This alone made money scarce for them and time was always a problem for them. Between work and studying there was not much time for them to do anything else. I cannot imagine how they will find the time and will to earn an extra $2,275. This means virtually no free time and no break from the work and school life.

I hope that the students can find a way around this huge increase, but it looks as though many students will not be able to return next year. I hope that the UA realizes that this will be a mistake when people decide to leave, and they can fix this mess they are making.

Garret Gannon
    pre-business freshman