Softball notes

Gordon Bates  /Arizona Daily Wildcat
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates /Arizona Daily Wildcat

Arizona’s Kenzie Fowler threw her first collegiate perfect game against Oregon State in five innings of work on Saturday.

While it was only the eighth perfect game in the history of Arizona softball, the best pitcher in Division I softball was able to match the freshman’s accomplishment.

Washington senior Danielle Lawrie threw her third perfect game on Sunday, tying the Pacific 10 Conference record for most perfect games thrown in a season. She joined Arizona’s Alicia Hollowell and Stanford’s Marcy Crouch as the only pitchers to throw three perfect games in a season.

While the single season series is over between the No. 3 Wildcats (38-7, 8-4 Pac-10) and the No. 1 Huskies (37-5, 9-3), there is no guarantee these Pac-10 foes won’t meet in regional or super regional play in the postseason. For Arizona left fielder Brittany Lastrapes, the meeting would be a welcomed chance at redemption for the Wildcat batting order.

“”I can’t wait to play them again,”” Lastrapes said. “”We haven’t been very successful against Danielle (Lawrie) in the last two years at all, so you can only take so much before you’re like ‘all right, done.’ That’s kind of how I am with her. I’m like ‘all right, you’re done. You’re not getting me out any more.'””

Mum’s the word

Arizona hit .649 as a team this weekend against the Oregon State Beavers, driving in 37 runs off 31 hits. But don’t try to throw any stats at the Wildcats.

“”Don’t, don’t, don’t, don’t tell me,”” K’Lee Arredondo said. “”Nope, don’t tell me. I’m just seeing the ball and hitting it. I’m good. We’re good.””

Although the players are trying to keep an even demeanor at the plate, their numbers are far from balanced.

• Arredondo was 7-for-11 on the weekend, a .636 average with four RBIs.

• Catcher Stacie Chambers was 3-for-5, a .600 average, with seven RBIs.

• Right fielder Karissa Buchanan was 4-for-7, a .571 average, with two RBIs.

• Designated player Lini Koria was 3-for-6, a .500 average, with six RBIs.

• Center fielder Lauren Schutzler was 3-for-7, a .429 average, with three RBIs.

“”The patience was good at the plate,”” UA head coach Mike Candrea said. “”I really thought that it was really fun to see.””

In stark contrast, the Beavers (22-24, 2-10) were 6-for-50 on the weekend — just a .120 average.

Finishing strong

After the Huskies dropped a game this weekend at Calfornia, Arizona is just one game behind the reigning national champion Washington Huskies, and the focus hasn’t changed from securing home field advantage in regional or super regional play.

To do that, the Wildcats have to finish the season strong. And that starts on the road, at California and Oregon.

“”I told them we have to win on the road,”” Candrea said. “”We have to go out and play a hot team with Cal and Oregon is playing well and finish up against UCLA.””

The Wildcats are slightly above average with a 5-4 record away from Hillenbrand Stadium, and all their losses in conference play have come on the road.