M-Tennis heads indoors, W-Tennis looks to bounce back from loss

Tim W. Glass
Tim W. Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat

For its first road trip of the spring season, the men’s tennis team will travel to Minnesota to play a two-match weekend indoors at the University of Minnesota’s Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis.

Arizona will play DePaul tonight and Minnesota on Sunday. Tonight’s match will mark the first time the Wildcats have met the Blue Demons in school history. Meanwhile, Sunday’s match will mark the fifth time the Wildcats and the Golden Gophers have met, with Minnesota holding a 3-1 advantage over Arizona. The Wildcats claimed the only win during the last meeting in 2008 by sweeping doubles and claiming five of the six singles matches.

“This will be a learning experience for us,” men’s head coach Tad Berkowitz said. “We are going to be playing indoors, which is a new environment for us and we are on the road.”

After a devastating loss to Cal Poly last weekend, the team made the necessary adjustments to improve its chances this weekend in Minnesota.

“I never doubted their effort,” Berkowitz said. “We are growing and learning so we can improve from week to week. We did some fine-tuning with the guys individually and feel good about this weekend.”

Meanwhile, the women’s team will host its second home match of the season against San Diego State on Saturday.

“Last weekend we played tough, but we didn’t play well,” women’s head coach Vicky Maes said. “We look to make improvements in doubles.”

In the 2009 spring season, when the teams last met, the Wildcats fell to the Aztecs, 4-3.

“We can’t underestimate San Diego State since we have been playing higher ranked teams,” Maes said. “They will play until the last point.”