Leo’s fate decided Tuesday

The Arizona club hockey team will announce its decision regarding the organizational structure of the program on Tuesday, according to Vice President of Student Affairs Frank Farias.

“”We don’t want to go public with any information at this time,”” Farias said. “”But everything is in the best interest our students at the University of Arizona at this time.””

Farias declined to comment on the specific changes taking place, but according to several former and current players, the Icecats are expected to move on from head coach Leo Golembiewski, who started the program in 1979.

Golembiewski controls nearly every facet of the Icecats program from funding to corporate sponsors, but the students are joining with the Campus Recreation to potentially gain financial backing in hopes of turning Arizona club hockey into a more traditional club team.   

That decision is expected to come via press release sometime Tuesday, after Farias holds private meeting at 4 p.m. on Tuesday to finish up discussions and make sure that everyone involved is on the same page.  

“”We’ve done all of our due diligence in making sure that before we go public we have all of our facts and all of our decisions finalized and make sure that we’ve had an opportunity to discuss all of these things with the people that are involved.””