No.8 Arizona WBB gets back on track with 15 point win against No.19 Oregon

Nathanial Stenchever

Sam Thomas, a forward on the University of Arizona woman’s basketball team, smiles after a teammate’s score on Friday, Feb. 4, in McKale Center. The Wildcats would lead into half 30-24.

The Arizona women’s basketball team got their revenge at home against No. 19  University of Oregon 63-48.

“Great crowd tonight, great energy, the white-out game, is the perfect situation for us to protect home court … . Winning at home in the Pac-12 is essential to be successful,” head coach Adia Barnes said.

The Wildcats were led by Cate Reese, who scored 13 points and shot 60% from the field and 50% from the three. 

Arizona shot the ball 44% from the field and 35% from beyond the arch. The Wildcats only got to the free-throw line five times and shot the ball 80% from there. 

The Wildcats’ defense held the Ducks to only 36% from the field and 13% from deep. Oregon got to the foul line 18 times, shooting 78%  from that range. Arizona forced 21 turnovers which led to 22 points off of turnovers. 

“Oregon didn’t play their best game today, but they’re a top-15 team. They will go deep in the tournament. We are lucky we caught them on an off night but they are a good team so this is a good win for us,” Barnes said. 

Arizona barely lost the rebounding battle 31-30 but did win the battle on the offensive glass 8-7. Arizona had 8 second-chance points in the game. Arizona’s attendance in this game was the second highest in program history with 10,413 people attending. 

“If we can’t produce under the bright lights or under pressure, we won’t do well in the tournament,” Barnes said.

The next game for the Arizona women‘s basketball team is another home game against Oregon State on Sunday, Feb. 6, at noon. 

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter