Police Beat: February 18

Space problems

Two UA students were involved in a verbal altercation at the Harvill building on Wednesday around 11 a.m.

On Thursday, a University of Arizona Police Department officer met with a student involved in the altercation.

The student told the officer that he had class in the Harvill building and that he liked to sit near the front of the classroom. One day, another student he did not know sat in front of him.

The student explained that he stretched out his legs and accidentally hit the chair of the student in front of him, who turned around and give him a dirty look. From that day on, the student explained, he tried to make an effort to sit elsewhere and avoid the other student.

On Feb. 10, the student said he unintentionally sat behind the same student, again stretching his legs out in front of him, but this time did not hit the other student’s chair. Again, the other student looked over his shoulder gave him dirty looks.

On Wednesday, the student decided to sit behind the same male student, who again turned around and stared at him. The student speaking with the officer explained that he said, “What’s up, dude?” to the other studen,t who became angry and raised his voice.

The two students began to argue about the chair incident, telling each other to move seats, until finally the student speaking with the officer told the other student to contact the UAPD about his “space problems.”

He then proceeded to tell the student with “space problems” that he was a crybaby and that he was lucky there were witnesses. The teacher finally came into the classroom, told everyone to be quiet and began class.

The officer told the student reporting the altercation that no criminal violation had occurred and advised him to avoid contact with the other student.

Let’s say I did…

A student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana on Wednesday at 10:40 p.m.

Two officers responded to Árbol de la Vida Residence Hall after a report that someone had marijuana on the third floor. When the residence assistant took the officers to the third floor, there
was a strong smell of marijuana coming from one of the rooms.

A female student opened the door, and one of the officers asked if she knew where her roommate was. She said yes and got her from the study room down the hall.

The officer explained he was there because of the smell of marijuana coming from their room. The student who opened the door said she did not own any marijuana and that they could search her property.

The other roommate refused a search of her property and asked what the consequences of having marijuana would be. The officer explained that she would be diverted and arrested, and that they would apply for a search warrant.

She then pulled out a baggie of marijuana from the bottom of a cabinet and said she had not smoked it since last semester. The officer took it and diverted her to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana.