UA Swim hosts Sun Devils

Arizona’s ingrained rivals will be making their way south tomorrow as ASU challenges the No. 6 men’s and No. 7 women’s swim teams at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center for Arizona’s final dual meet of the season.

Although the state rivalry aspect of the meet is certainly a factor, ASU isn’t near Arizona’s caliber — the Sun Devils aren’t even ranked. Head coach Frank Busch noted why its program isn’t up to par, especially on the men’s side.

“”Well, ASU is in the process of building a really nice women’s program,”” Busch said. “”The men went through some really traumatic stuff when they dropped the program, and then added them back. … It’s still a limbo situation.””

In regards to good match-ups this weekend, with the men’s side in possible disarray, the lady Sun Devils are the competitors to watch out for, Busch said.  

Like a true Wildcat, senior Dana Christ said she is mostly looking forward to the state rivalry aspect.

“”I don’t think the competition is as head to head, but I know we have a lot of fun with it — just knowing that the entire university really gets into the ASU and UA athletic event,”” Christ said. “”We are really excited, and we really enjoy the girls on the other team, so it’s nice to see them too — but still, there’s rivalry there. It will be a fun meet.””

Another exciting factor for Christ is the senior recognition ceremony that takes place annually at the last home dual meet.

“”I’ve seen the seniors be presented and talked about for the past three years, and it’s kind of nice to get recognized,”” Christ said. “”We have a really small class, so it should be special.””  

Along with Christ, the seniors being acknowledged are Emma Darlington, Susana Helms, David Austin, Ben Grado, Robert Iddiols, Craig Jordens and Ivan Tolic.

Rivalry and ceremony aside, the forefront intent is to perform well.

“”It’s a same old meet, were going to go out there and try to do our best,”” Christ said. “”It’s a good friendly-fight on the pool deck.””

2011 World University Games

Five Wildcat swimmers were chosen to be on the 2011 World University team in Shenzhen, China.

USA Swimming chose juniors Alyssa Anderson, Cory Chitwood and Adam Small, and seniors Annie Chandler and senior Clark Burckle.