ASUA candidates hit campaign trail

ASUA candidates began hanging posters all over campus yesterday, marking the first day of campaigning. The posters this year spell out the word vote when connected.
    ASUA candidates began hanging posters all over campus yesterday, marking the first day of campaigning. The posters this year spell out the word ‘vote’ when connected.

ASUA presidential candidates woke up at midnight yesterday morning to begin photo-copying fliers, posting them around campus and talking with students on their first official day of campaigning.

Candidates were allowed to start campaigning at 12:01 a.m. yesterday, said David Martinez III, a pre-education senior and the ASUA elections commissioner. Many candidates took advantage of getting an early start.

“”They (the candidates) want to get the best spots on campus for their fliers,”” Martinez said.

Tommy Bruce, a business economics sophomore and ASUA presidential candidate, said he started campaigning at exactly 12:01 a.m. yesterday.

“”I have not slept yet, but it’s definitely worth it,”” Bruce said yesterday afternoon.

Bruce said he spent the morning putting up fliers and talking with students on the UA Mall and elsewhere on campus.

“”We are doing our best to see as many clubs and talk to as many people as possible,”” Bruce said.

Another presidential candidate, Brad Wulff, a business administration junior, said he was also up early, officially beginning his campaign at midnight.

At 6 a.m., Wulff said he and 50 of his supporters spent two hours putting up fliers all over campus.

“”I want to reach as many students as I can,”” he said.

Wulff said he plans on being on the UA Mall from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. three days a week visiting with people during the campaign season.

Like the other candidates, Anthony Stuart, a junior majoring in Spanish and Portuguese, said he began his campaign at 12:01 a.m.

“”I’m on the one-to-two-hour-of-sleep-a-night plan,”” Stuart said. “”But that’s what we all signed up for.””

Stuart and his campaign team walked the Mall handing out Sudoku puzzle fliers throughout the morning.

“”Over the next few weeks, we’re going to be introducing some surprises that will hopefully take the campus by storm,”” Stuart said.

All three candidates said they are using Facebook groups and MySpace pages as part of their campaigns.

Candidates are expected to follow strict rules when campaigning, with rules such as no posting fliers on department bulletin boards.

“”We hold candidates responsible to know the ASUA elections code, UA policy and the Arizona Revised Statues regarding what they can and can’t do,”” Martinez said. “”They are aware that there are penalties for not following the regulations. I hope we have a clean election.””

All three presidential candidates said the elections code is easy to follow and they do not see any major violations being a problem during the elections.

“”As long as you read (the elections code), you should be good,”” Bruce said.

Wulff said this year’s elections code is an improvement from previous years.

Sixteen candidates for the ASUA Senate also began campaigning yesterday, in addition to two candidates for executive vice president and three candidates for administrative vice president.

Primary elections will be held Feb. 27 and 28, and general elections will be held March 6 and 7.