Golf takes 3-day trip to Hawaii

Fresh off its second consecutive third-place finish, the No. 31 Arizona men’s golf team will compete in the John Burns Intercollegiate in Wahiawa, Hawaii, today through Friday.

The Wildcats finished 11 strokes behind Nevada-Las Vegas their last time out in the Ping-Arizona Intercollegiate at Arizona National Golf Course. It was the team’s fourth top-five finish this season.

The Wildcats enter the tournament as a favorite to finish in the top five once again, as only three of the 22 teams competing are ranked in the national top 25.

Last year’s champion, No. 32 Southern Methodist, returns to defend its title. The Mustangs shot a 41-under 832 last year to win by one stroke over Brigham Young.

Brandon DeStefano of SMU won the individual title with a 14-under 202.

The teams may have to battle not only one another but also the weather, as reports show a 30 percent chance of rain for each day of the tournament, coupled with expected winds up to 30 mph.

Arizona senior Brian Prouty won the Ping-Arizona Intercollegiate with a 14-under 199. This will be Prouty’s second tournament since returning from surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left wrist.

The lowest four individual scores from each team will count toward the team total in the tournament.