Another No. 20

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Arizona mens basketball team hosted the Oklahoma Sooners in a college basketball game Sunday, Dec. 5, 2010, at McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz.  The Wildcats stormed to an 83-60 win.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Arizona men’s basketball team hosted the Oklahoma Sooners in a college basketball game Sunday, Dec. 5, 2010, at McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz. The Wildcats stormed to an 83-60 win.

Jordin Mayes didn’t receive the attention of the typical high-profile college recruit. At Westchester High School, where the three-star prospect didn’t start his entire high school career, the attention wasn’t always on him.

But growing up as he did, Mayes received plenty of attention from those who knew college basketball — his father Darryel Mayes and former Wildcats Damon Stoudamire and Salim Stoudamire.

“”I watched them a lot,”” Mayes said of the Stoudamire cousins. “”I went to Damon’s camps a couple times when I was younger. He put a little bit into my game. Salim, I talked to him recently. We(‘ve) got a good relationship.””

Darryel Mayes mentored Damon Stoudamire as he grew into a talented high school player at Woodrow Wilson High School in Portland, Ore., Jordin Mayes said. The families have remained close after Darryel Mayes moved his family to California.

The newest No. 20, Jordin Mayes’ technical, yet smooth release might remind fans of past No. 20s.  

Coincidentally, Jordin Mayes didn’t choose his No. 20 jersey at random. In fact, he received the blessing to continue the tradition of the double-digit by the Stoudamire’s, who both wore No. 20 while at Arizona.

Damon Stoudamire, who played at Arizona in the early 1990s, shared the backcourt with New York native Khalid Reeves. The Portland-New York duo led the Wildcats to the 1994 NCAA Final Four.

Similarly, Jordin Mayes currently splits point guard minutes with New York guard and sophomore Momo Jones. Jordin Mayes believes the two guards are both contributing in similar ways despite the notion that they each bring something different to the team.

“”I believe we’re kind of the same,”” Mayes said. “”We both run the team pretty well. We each can push the ball … penetrate and dish, and get everybody involved.

“”He’s got that year ahead of me, so he’s got that experience over me,”” he added. “”But everything’s about the same.””

Remaining schedule

vs. Cal State, Fullerton,

tonight at 6:30 p.m.

vs. BYU (Salt Lake City),

Saturday at 4 p.m.

Most obvious storyline of the year — Arizona plays the Cougars at a neutral site after last year’s BYU route where guard Jimmer Fredette torched the Wildcats for 49 points, nine assists and seven rebounds in McKale Center. How will the Arizona guards defend Fredette this year?

vs. NAU,

Dec. 16 at 7:30 p.m.

at North Carolina State (Raleigh, N.C.)

Dec. 19 at 2:30 p.m.

In the first true road test of the season, the Wildcats play at an Atlantic Coast Conference school. While the Wolfpack isn’t the crèam of the crop in college hoops’ best conference, UA coach Sean Miller will have a personal reason for a strong showing. He was an assistant coach in Raleigh from 1996-2001 under current ASU coach Herb Sendek.

vs. Robert Morris,

Dec. 22 at 6:30 p.m.

at Oregon (Eugene, Ore.),

Dec. 30 at 6 p.m.

Arizona gets the first look at Oregon and first-year head coach Dana Altman, who moves to Nike U from Creighton University. This game also has some historical importance — Arizona plays the second-to-last college basketball game at McArthur Court before moving into the new Matthew Knight Arena.

at Oregon State (Corvallis, Ore.)

Jan. 2, 2011, at 6 p.m.

vs. California,

Jan. 6, 2011, at 8:30 p.m.

vs. Stanford,

Jan. 8, 2011, at 4:30 p.m.