Rec Fest rocks

Valentina Martinelli/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Stephen Mangum, a sophomore majoring in philosophy, climbs the rock wall at the rec centers bouldering competition during Rec Fest. The event featured a volleyball competition, an indoor soccer competition, free food, massages, haircuts and manicures to promote the buildings new expansion on Feb 23, 2010.
Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Stephen Mangum, a sophomore majoring in philosophy, climbs the rock wall at the rec center’s bouldering competition during Rec Fest. The event featured a volleyball competition, an indoor soccer competition, free food, massages, haircuts and manicures to promote the building’s new expansion on Feb 23, 2010.

Day two of the Student Recreation Center’s grand opening Rec Fest, was in full swing Tuesday, with events, prizes and food.

The first 75 students at Rec Fest got to choose from a variety of gift certificates. Students could also register to win other prizes, such as a signed basketball or a bike.

“”We tried to secure a variety of different vendors,”” said Juliette Moore, director of Campus Recreation. “”It’s our way of showing students how much we appreciate them.””

Students also got to take advantage of a variety of free services, such as massages, manicures and haircuts, Moore said.

“”It’s pretty awesome, I don’t get a free manicure that often,”” said Stephanie Reed, a pre-architecture freshman.

According to Moore, the UofA Bookstore donated free Chick-Fil-A for the event.

Other food included Cliff Bars, popcorn and snow cones.

“”It seems pretty cool, I like all the free food,”” said Taylor Bohach, a mechanical engineering freshman.

Students also had a chance to compete for prizes and participate in bouldering, basketball and indoor soccer, Moore said. 

“”It’s a great way of giving back, and it doesn’t cost us anything,”” Moore said.

A personal trainer was also available to answer students’ questions.

“”I come here to work out everyday, so it’s nice to have more people checking out the Rec,”” said Kaci Kolberg, a pre-pharmacy freshman.