Monday last day to register for Nov. election

Monday is the last day of voter registration before the November elections.

UA Votes 2010 and the Arizona Student Vote Coalition have arranged a voting “”blitz week”” to register students before the deadline. Students can fill out a short form at a booth on the UA Mall, which is then given to the Pima County Recorder.

“”We’re just walking up to students and asking if they’re registered,”” said Elma Delic, board chair of the Arizona Students’ Association and journalism and political science senior. “”We want to make sure we’re everywhere on campus.””

The Arizona Public Interest Research Group, the Arizona Students’ Association and ASUA are all a part of the Arizona Student Vote Coalition.

The coalition has registered 522 UA students as of Tuesday. The figure also includes registration from an earlier “”mini-blitz.””

Gabriel Orozco, a criminal justice senior and Arizona Students’ Association intern, said the effort is effective because students are encouraged to register by their peers.

“”I feel that students listen to students,”” Orozco said.

Most out-of-state students can register to vote in Pima County without affecting their scholarships. The Pima County Recorder’s office said to check with your scholarships before registering to vote in Arizona if you are not an Arizona resident.

Delic said some private scholarships have stipulations in “”very rare”” cases.

“”We’re really cautious, especially with out-of-state students,”” Delic said.

Undecided freshman Mia Alvarenga registered to vote after being approached on the Mall.

“”They come up and ask you, which is pretty cool,”” Alvarenga said. “”That was just really convenient.””

Some students said they considered registering to vote earlier, but never found the time.

“”It was much easier,”” said Eric Wheeler, a senior studying Spanish and Italian, about registering on the mall. “”It’s responsible. I like to contribute the little I can.””

Other students had not thought about registration until they were approached.

“”It was spur of the moment,”” said pre-business freshman Stephen Woolfolk. “”I decided I wanted to make a change in politics.