Twin Takes

Stuck in no-man’s land

When I was 10 years old, I thought summer was the best time of year. I loved going to the zoo and spending time watching the animals sleep. On a particularly hot summer day, I could run through the sprinklers like a hooligan or lay out a dilapidated Slip-N-Slide. If my brother and I were really lucky, we would get to spend a day at a magical castle called Golf ‘N’ Stuff.  

But I am no longer 10, and visiting the zoo is not one of my top priorities. I don’t get the same thrill from the sprinklers or the rush from tripping on the Slip-N-Slide. To be honest, I think I would feel like a creeper if I went to Golf ‘N’ Stuff for a round of putt-putt.

It’s hard to find things to do for college students. I love Eegees and Bookmans just as much as the next Tucsonan, but it doesn’t change the fact that the city is dull in the summer. Hiking can be fun as long as you plan on avoiding the glaring sun. Swimming in a pool is OK, but it does not really compare to a lake. If it weren’t for summer school and summer employment, I would feel like I was completely wasting a good two and a half months of my life.

Spending a few days on a beach would be quite enjoyable; unfortunately, the closest beaches to Tucson are in San Diego or Mexico. Spending a day at an amusement park would be awesome; sadly, the closest legitimate parks are in California or Texas. While I’m happy that all of these places are within a day’s driving distance, it would be nice if there was something here, besides Breakers Water Park.

— Wesley Smyth is a junior studying ecology and evolutionary biology. He can be contacted at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.

Fewer people, greater fun

Well, it’s summertime in Tucson again and no one is here. With school no longer in session, my fellow students are missing in action. Triple-digit temperatures will do that. You gotta love it.

With no one at the UA, going to the Student Recreation Center is great. No awkward glances from testosterone-driven dudes as I lift weights, no waiting by the pool like a creep until someone gives up a lane. I have the whole place to myself. Yes, the weights are open, the pool is free and I can rock climb to my heart’s content. You can’t beat it.

Summer is practically perfect in Tucson. This city provides the ideal summer conditions: hot temperatures, cool swimming pools and the best skin cancer center in the world (in the event that you develop melanoma). Despite the high temperatures during the day, most people don’t realize that the weather is great in the evening. Whether playing soccer, swimming or even just looking at the stars, it is truly great in the middle of the night.

Something I like about Tucson is that it is within driving distance of many popular destinations. Rocky Point, the White Mountains and California are within a day’s drive. Now, I love Mexico just as much as the next guy, but my favorite destination is California. With a six-hour drive and a few cans of Red Bull, I can enjoy some of the happiest places on earth for a simple modest fee.

And so what if it’s hot? I don’t even wake up until it’s 10 a.m. and the college scene doesn’t even start until at least 7 at night. Summer school, work and air conditioning keep me cool and busy. Oh, and never underestimate the Tucson treasure of Eegees. A watermelon Eegee always hits the spot. Always.

— Taylor Smyth is a biology junior. He can be contacted at

letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.