Carmelo’s buzzer-beater sinks Grizzlies

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — After the Grizzlies picked the Knicks’ pockets all night long, it was Carmelo Anthony who stole the game. He buried a baseline jumper with five-tenths of a second left to give the Knicks a 110-108 win in a wild game on Wednesday night at the FedEx Forum.

The Knicks blew a 16-point lead going into the fourth quarter and a 10-point edge with about four minutes to go, but managed to pull out their third straight win.

Anthony, who missed a shot with 22.2 seconds left, drilled the winning shot over guard Tony Allen and right in front of a screaming Memphis bench. Anthony backpedaled down the floor firing trash talk right back at the silenced Grizzlies.

Anthony’s foul on Zach Randolph with 14.2 seconds left resulted in a three-point play that tied it at 108.

Anthony had 31 points, his second consecutive 30-point game, and six assists for the Knicks (34-29), who have their highest win total since the 2003-04 season.

Amar’e Stoudemire had 26 points but was victimized the most by Memphis’ defense, committing six turnovers.

Randolph had 20 points and 11 rebounds, Allen had 22 points and Mike Conley had 20 points and five steals for the Grizzlies (36-30), who lost at home for only the 10th time.

The Knicks carried a 96-82 lead into the fourth but yielded eight straight points. They missed their first seven shots to see the lead dwindle to six after a jumper by Darrell Arthur with 9:03 left. Toney Douglas found Shawne Williams in the corner for a long jumper to end the Knicks’ drought and give them a 98-90 lead. Anthony scored on a spin move in the paint to make it 100-90 with 6:28 left.

But the Knicks could not shake the pesky Grizzlies, who challenge every pass. After leading 108-98 with 3:37 left, the Knicks failed to score on four straight possessions. Memphis closed within 108-105 on a three-point play by Arthur that included a thunderous, fast-break dunk over Jared Jeffries.

The play was the result of the Grizzlies’ 12th steal. They entered leading the league with 9.25 per game and finished with 13. They converted 28 points off 17 turnovers.

Toney Douglas had 18 points, 10 assists and three turnovers in yet another strong game for the Knicks, who played their fifth in a row without Chauncey Billups (deep thigh bruise).

After battling Conley, Doug las will face Jason Kidd on Thursday night in Dallas for a very challenging back-to-back. Billups may not be available for that game, either, but Mike D’Antoni all but guaranteed he’ll be back for Sunday’s home game against the Pacers.

“”We could’ve pushed him, but we’ll have these two days and we’ll see, I don’t know if he’ll play or not,”” D’Antoni said. “”Then we’ll have Sunday, and Sunday he’s definitely going to play.””

If so, that’s news to Billups. “”I’m not going to definitely say anything,”” he said. “”When I’m able to play, I will play.””

The deep bruise in his left quadriceps is, as Billups put it, as deep as you can get. An added concern is its minor impact on his left knee, which “”kind of shifted”” when it collided with Dwight Howard’s knee March 1. It caused swelling in the back of Billups’ kneecap.

Billups said he’s getting treatment on the knee as well as the thigh but seemed to downplay it as a serious issue.