Police Beat: March 3

Make that a double

A University of Arizona Police Department officer saw a man stumbling and struggling to get into the Coronado Residence Hall on Friday at 10:20 p.m.

The officer stopped to perform a welfare check because the man was unable to stand on his own and was swaying.

When the officer asked if the man needed any medical help, the man said no. The officer reported the man had watery, bloodshot eyes, smelled of alcohol and had 11 hash marks on his left arm.

The man was taken by the officer and read his rights. He stated that he had only had two beers, and he had gotten the alcohol from a room in Coronado but did not know which floor or room number.

The officer asked if the man was from Tucson. The man said he was from Maricopa County. He gave the officer several phone numbers, but none of them were operational.

After the man was unable to give a valid address, telephone number or the name of the person with whom he was staying, he was arrested for minor in possession.

The officer transported the man to the Pima County Juvenile Court and issued the man a citation. At the court, the man refused medical help from personnel and then gave the officer the name of a woman he was staying with in Coronado.

When the officer brought the man back to Coronado, he went up to the room of the woman, who said she would take responsibility for the man.

As the officer knocked on the door, he could hear people inside whispering and shuffling things around.

He continued to knock on the door for more than five minutes as he heard bottles knocking together.

Eventually the woman came to the door and tried to convince the officer that she could not hear the officer at the door because she was in the bathroom. The woman finally admitted that she did not open the door because she “”is a good girl and didn’t want to get into trouble.””

The officer noticed the woman was showing signs of intoxication and asked her to get whatever she had been drinking.

The woman pulled a half-full 750-milliliter bottle of Three Olives vodka and a half-full 750-milliliter bottle of Ketel One vodka out of the bathroom.

She stated the man was staying with her, but she had not provided him with the alcohol and would not say where she got her vodka.

The woman was cited and released for minor in possession, and the man was released into her care.

Stolen sorority portrait

A UAPD officer was on patrol on Feb. 26 at 1:27 a.m., when he saw two men carrying a large composite photo of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority at First Street and Vine Avenue.

The officer stopped the men and asked them why they were carrying the portrait. The men said they had gotten the composite portrait five minutes earlier from the sorority house at 1435 E. Second St.

The men told the officer that a friend and current sorority sister gave them the portrait to use for Sigma Chi fraternity philanthropy purposes.

The officer called the housemother at the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, and she told the officer that the portrait was missing. She did confirm, however, that the friend the men mentioned was a current sorority member.

At 2:12 a.m., the housemother went to the intersection of First Street and Vine Avenue to look over the portrait and said the house would like to deal with the incident civilly and would not like to press charges.

The portrait was given back to the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, and two Code of Conduct referrals were sent to the Dean of Students for the two men.

Student’s Mercedes vandalized

A UA student called UAPD on Saturday at 9:48 p.m. to report damage to his silver Mercedes-Benz in the parking lot at 1601 E. Sixth St.

When the officer arrived, he saw scrapes along the left doorframe and the rear bumper. There was also damage to the area where the driver’s side door and back left door meet. There was broken yellow glass and an unknown liquid streaming from the broken glass. The back window was also shattered. Inside the car, there was a large rock the size of tennis ball on the back seat.

The man told the officer that he did not know of anyone who could have damaged his car and did not want to press charges.

The officer gave the man his case number and a copy of his victim’s rights.

Photographs of the damage were taken and submitted and placed into UAPD property as evidence.

Couldn’t find what you were looking for?

A UAPD officer was sent to the Sonett Space Sciences building at 1541 E. University Blvd. on Saturday at 9:19 p.m. after someone reported seeing a suspicious-looking man going through cabinets in the basement of the building.

The person who had seen the man told the officer that the man was wearing a blue jacket and had tattoos on his neck.

When the officer went into the basement, he found a green duffle bag and a fire extinguisher lying at the bottom of the stairs.

After the officer cleared the room, he saw that the doors were not secured, and the cabinets the man had been looking through seemed as if they had been rifled through.

The officer could not tell if anything had been taken. The fire extinguisher was put back on the wall and a walk through was done in the basement to see if anything else had been altered. The green duffel bag was placed into UAPD property.