Family Weekend gets new director

A new appointment, funding requests, a proposed resolution and a special presentation from Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Chris Nagata are scheduled for this week’s meeting, according to Emily Fritze, ASUA executive vice president.

The ASUA meeting will take place today in the Ventana Room of the Student Union Memorial Center at 5 p.m.

Karen Flores, a business management junior in the Eller College of Management, will be appointed the new director of the “”Family Weekend”” program.

Flores is a former chair member of the Accolades organization and took strides to revitalize the club. The Accolades program honors students and faculty for their outstanding leadership and commitment to the university. According to ASUA administrative vice president Gabby Ziccarelli, Flores created a new business model and many other new updates for the program.

Ziccarelli said Flores was chosen because ASUA hopes Flores can provide the same results to the “”Family Weekend”” program.

“”She totally brought it up to a new level,”” Ziccarelli said. 

As the new director, Flores will be in charge of planning and organizing the annual event, which takes place every October.

It will be up to her and her creativity to make the event a success, Ziccarelli said.

Flores could not be reached by press time, but Ziccarelli said Flores plans to attend tomorrow’s meeting.

Nagata plans to give a presentation on the new proposed fees students can expect to pay next year. 

Many campus clubs and organizations have submitted requests for the additional funding they will need to stay operational.

Each of these organizations has conducted their own research to determine how students feel about the new fee increases, according to Nagata. He plans to present this information to the ASUA senate.

“”The purpose of the presentation of the information is to introduce our stance based on feedback,”” Nagata said.

At tonight’s meeting, Sen. Tyler Quillin will also be requesting up to $730 for an aggressive marketing campaign called “”I dare you.”” The campaign is a call for students to better educate themselves, and communicate their sentiments in regard to campus-related issues.

The senate’s “”duty”” is to reach out to students, and it’s important for students to get involved, Quillin said.

There will be a Web site for those interested to learn more about the “”I dare you”” campaign. It will be available by the end of next week.

Quillin also plans to propose a resolution in support of the legislative initiatives prompted by ASUA for this semester. The initiatives include tuition, financial aid, work-study program among others.

He feels the student government, on behalf of students, should publically support their initiatives.