Police Beat: August 27

Officer Spy

Two non-UA affiliated men were arrested at approximately 11:47 a.m. on Aug. 21, after an officer from the University of Arizona Police Department spotted them walking around the bushes at a convenience store.

The officer watched the men cross the street and enter a UA parking garage, where one of the men flicked his cigarette on the ground. The officer approached the man and told him it was a criminal offense to litter, and the man picked it up.

The officer then went to the top of the parking garage and watched the men stop and look at some bicycle racks and lean against a wall near them. The officer then approached them again to determine their purpose on campus. By the time he reached ground level, one of the men had disappeared, and the officer asked the other man if he could speak with him. The man agreed, and informed the officer he was going to a hospital for an injury he had received after an assault earlier that morning, although he refused medical assistance, or to give law enforcement any names.

He also told him that the other man, who had flicked the cigarette on the ground, was inside a UA building using the bathroom and then he identified himself. A records check revealed he had a warrant issued for failure to appear for an original charge of shoplifting.

An assisting officer arrived and read him an exclusionary order for being disruptive on school property, and noticed the man had blood dripping from his nose. The other man was located inside the building, and was also found to have a warrant. Both men were transported to Pima County Jail and given exclusionary orders.

A little too trashed

On Aug. 22 at approximately 3:40 a.m., a UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students for a Minor in Bodily Possession of Alcohol, after a UAPD officer noticed him sleeping in an enclosed trash area on campus.

The officer was unable to verbally wake the man and had to shake him to wake him up. The man smelled strongly of alcohol and struggled to provide his name and identification.

When the student stood up, the officer noticed he was swaying and had to lean against the wall for support. His eyes were also watery and bloodshot. The officer read the student his Miranda rights and asked him if he had been drinking. The student said yes and added that he had been drinking vodka.

He also stated that he had been drinking at a residence hall with friends, but he refused to give any names or who provided the alcohol. He said after drinking he needed to “walk it off,” but had become lost and sat down to get his bearings. The officer diverted him to the Dean of Students and took him back to his dorm.

Follow her at Twitter.com/AlisonRaeDorf