Sound Off: Character counts, but not for everything

As the Republican presidential hopefuls continue their campaigning and politicking, the coverage continues to be on their personalities and their ability to fire back quips and funny comments in debates. In an article in The New York Times that followed the Republican debate in Florida, “Perry Is Target as Republican Candidates Take Aim,” constant attention is paid to each candidate’s ability to rouse excitement, laughter or applause for quick comebacks. While personality and witty charm have always been relevant to voters, they seem to be more and more important with each passing election.

Ever heard the saying “I’d like to have a beer with him”? Believe it or not, some people actually base their voting habits around this saying. More and more voters ignore the issues and are easily swayed by how much they like a candidate’s charm. Let’s remember that we’re talking about the primaries for the Republican Party’s nomination for the presidency of the U.S. No, this isn’t a column making fun of voting trends in an Associated Students of the University of Arizona election. We’re talking about the big boys here.

I’m sorry to say, but Democrats have a pretty charismatic candidate themselves. If Republicans hope to out-charisma President Barack Obama, then they’re playing a losing game. Regardless of your party, please demand more from politicians. There’s a reason you feel warm and fuzzy from a snarky comeback. It’s because it’s just hot air and it doesn’t mean anything.

— Storm Byrd is the Perspectives editor. He can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.