Miller’s chants seem to work

• There’s got to be something to Sean Miller’s new chants.

UA head coach Sean Miller met with several hundred members of the Zona Zoo on Tuesday night and asked the students to help his team on defense: During the first four minutes of the game, say “”boing”” when the opponent bounces the ball, “”pass”” when they pass and “”brick”” when the other team shoots.

“”I really would like to thank our students,”” Miller said after the game. “”The Zona Zoo, watching them show up in full force like they did, knowing that our football team has just an incredibly big weekend and it being just two days from that — I would just like to, on behalf of our team, thank them … It’s one of the many things that makes playing here special.””

The Zona Zoo chanted the new cheers during the UA men’s basketball game on Thursday night, and Rice didn’t score for the first 5:20 of the game until their forward Lucas Kulpers was fouled and made two shots at the charity stripe.

“”I liked Coach’s ideas,”” said UA guard Kyle Fogg, “”and I liked the fact that Zona Zoo really did them, and I think they did a great job with that. I think it rattled (Rice) for a little bit.””

• A large white square with the Block A logo “”cap”” was installed directly under the four-screen video board in McKale Center this week. It is a direct reflection of the Block A on the court under it.

• Freshman Kevin Parrom, who is out with a stress fracture in his left foot, is wearing a boot. He is able to walk slowly without using crutches. “”It’s doing all right,”” he said before the game. “”Just taking it easy.””

Miller said Tuesday he hopes to have Parrom back before Christmas.

• Rice head coach Ben Braun coached his first game in a Pacific 10 Conference arena since coaching at California from 1996-2008.

Former UA head coach Lute Olson spoke to the Rice team after the game.

“”He just came in there and let them know that they played hard and even when they were down they didn’t give up like so many teams might have,”” Braun said. “”It was nice to see Lute again. He’s a good coaching friend of mine.””

• Both teams were perfect from the line in the first half. Arizona was 2-for-2; Rice was 8-for-8.

• The “”Ooh Ahh”” man made his first appearance of the season.