UA alumna wins pageant

Hallie Bolonkin / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Krya Batte, a Psychology graduate of U of A, was crowned as the Miss Pima County 2011, and Vanessa Sircy, an Elementary Education and piano graduate at the U of A was runner up in the Miss Pima County 2011 scholarship pagent. The scholarship awarded to Krya Batte for winning Miss Pima County 2011 was a total of $2,500, and Vanessa Sircy was awarded $750 for first runner up.
Hallie Bolonkin
Hallie Bolonkin / Arizona Daily Wildcat Krya Batte, a Psychology graduate of U of A, was crowned as the Miss Pima County 2011, and Vanessa Sircy, an Elementary Education and piano graduate at the U of A was runner up in the Miss Pima County 2011 scholarship pagent. The scholarship awarded to Krya Batte for winning Miss Pima County 2011 was a total of $2,500, and Vanessa Sircy was awarded $750 for first runner up.

UA alumna Kyra Batté was crowned as the 2011 Miss Pima County yesterday and received a $2,500 scholarship.

“”I was shocked,”” Batté said after the pageant. “”I was so thrilled though and so happy, and I’m so excited to go to state again to compete for Miss Arizona.””

Batté credits her pageant experiences, which began three years ago, for helping her grow as a person.

“”I probably would not have gotten (my) job if it wasn’t for the hard interview questions they ask us here,”” she said.

Batté earned her bachelor’s degree in psychology in 2009 and currently works as a case manager at COPE Community Services in Tucson, both of which formed the foundation for her platform of raising awareness and support for mental health issues in Arizona.

Batté said she would use the scholarship money to pay off her student loans.

Family and friends were on hand as Batté and eight other contestants competed in the John J. Pedicone Jr. Performing Arts Center at Flowing Wells High School. They included students and alumnae from Arizona State University, Pima Community College and Marana High School.

Miss Pima County Scholarship Pageant contestants are judged in multiple competitions, each with specific criteria. They each choose a platform based on causes that range from volunteering to multiple sclerosis awareness. In addition to a pre-pageant interview, contestants compete in swimsuit, talent and evening gown competitions.

For the talent portion, Batté performed a tap dance to “”Happy Feet,”” a swing song by Paul Whiteman.

Vanessa Sircy, who earned her bachelor’s degree for elementary education in May, took first runner-up and received a $750 scholarship. The Kiwanis Club of the Santa Ritas awarded Sircy its $500 Quality of Life Scholarship for her essay about her platform titled “”Think SMART — Saving Missing, Abducted, Runaway and Thrownaway Children.””

Batté takes over the title from Kathryn Bulkley, who is the current Miss Arizona and a competitor for the 2011 Miss America crown this January. Bulkley was a pre-veterinary science major at the UA before taking the last year off in order to carry out her duties as Miss Arizona.

As the 2011 Miss Pima County, Batté will travel throughout southern Arizona and to Phoenix for public appearances, charity events and fundraisers.

Bulkley said she and Batté became friends during her time as Miss Pima County and was thrilled that she won. She had advice for Batté.

“”Have fun. Take advantage of your time as Miss Pima County and all the connections you can make,”” Bulkley said.

Winning Miss Pima County is a preliminary step to competing in the Miss Arizona competition. Whoever takes the crown then moves on as a contestant for the Miss America title.

Batté will compete in the Miss Arizona Scholarship Pageant in June 2011.