Trio of Arizona athletes named to Bowerman watch list

Chuck Myers
Georganne Moline of the USA clears a hurdle during the third semifinal for the women's 400m hurdles at Olympic Stadium, during the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London, England, Monday, August 6, 2012. Moline finished second in the semi, and qualified for the final. (Chuck Myers/MCT)

Three Wildcats made the 2013 Bowerman Preseason Watch List released by The U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches’ Association (USTFCCA) this week.

Seniors Brigetta Barrett and Georganne Moline made the women’s list, and Junior Lawi Lalang made the men’s. For Barrett and Lalang, this was their second-straight year making the list.

The preseason watch list features the best athletes in NCAA track and field, and is a “who to watch” list for the upcoming season.

Barrett was honored by the recognition, but isn’t making it her entire priority this season.

“I really, really, really would like to win the Bowerman Award,” Barrett said. “But I can’t focus my whole season on an award that is determined by the opinions of others.”

The Bowerman is awarded each year to the most outstanding male and female in collegiate track and field. The winner is determined through votes cast by Bowerman voters, USTFCCA members, and fans.

Barrett was a finalist for the 2012 Bowerman Award, the first student-athlete in Arizona history, and a semi-finalist in 2011.

This, however, was Moline’s first time making it on the list.

“I never thought I’d be a threat to anyone, so it means a lot to me,” Moline said. “I work so hard so for it to be recognized, that’s definitely something special.”

The Cats open their indoor season at the Lumberjack Team Challenge in Flagstaff, Ariz. on Saturday.