Calendar

Bummed Spring Fling is already over? Have a craving for deep-fried twinkies? No worries. The Pima County Fair opens today and runs through April 27.  Check out their Web site for more information.
    Bummed Spring Fling is already over? Have a craving for deep-fried twinkies? No worries. The Pima County Fair opens today and runs through April 27. Check out their Web site for more information.

Today

Heavy Metal Islam – This lecture will focus on the hipster side of Muslim youths, and will include a slideshow that is hopefully full of dramatic MySpace pictures. 5 p.m. Free. UofA Bookstore, main level

Dimmu Borgir – To continue with the metal theme, this band will be playing at The Rialto Theatre. If you’ve never heard them, check out its “”The Serpentine Offering”” video on YouTube, which begins like a cheesy Middle Ages movie with people riding horses in slow motion, but quickly devolves into screaming and the anachronistic use of a smoke machine. 8 p.m. $23.50 in advance, $26 at the door. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Pima County Fair – If you didn’t get enough of Spring Fling, go to the fair as well. In addition to nauseating rides and nauseating food, you’ll get to mingle with the common-folk and feel connected to the world. 6 p.m. Opening night. Runs until April 27. $7. Pima County Fairgrounds, 11300 S. Houghton Road

The Original Creative Festival – Contrary to competing claims, this sewing and quilting festival is the first creative festival in the world, and actually began thousands of years before human existence. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Today through Saturday. $8 to $16. Tucson Convention Center, 260 S. Church Ave.

Tomorrow

Meet Troubletown Cartoonist Lloyd Dangle – This is the guy who has that leftist political comic strip in the Tucson Weekly. You know, the one that makes fun of George Bush. 7 p.m. Free. Antigone Books, 411 N. Fourth Ave.

2008 Arizona International Film Festival – Eighty films from all over the world will be showing around the city. Filmmakers will also be onhand in some cases, so that you can ask them kiss-ass questions about how great they are. Runs until April 27. $6 to $150. Various locations

“”Pink Flamingos”” – This is an excellent date film. I saw this film on a first date once, and by the time the incest, incessant spitting, consumption of feces, and chicken rape was over, I was too disgusted to go all the way. Now we’ve been together for two years! 10 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Saturday

Vik Muniz and Janaina TschÇÏpe Booksigning – Vik Muniz is a famous international artist who has attempted projects such as creating The Last Supper out of Bosco chocolate syrup. Janaina TschÇÏpe, among other things, does bizarre but amazing photographs of people inside balloons. 3-4:30 p.m. Free. MOCA on the Plaza, 149 N. Stone Ave.

Club Crawl – Lickity split. It’s that time again. Venture downtown if you dare, to go see bands such as The Mission Creeps, Chango Malo, Golden Boots and Tom Walbank. Or just go to the bar on any other night. 8 p.m. $8 in advance, $10 at the door. Downtown (21+)

Bollywood at the Fox – This is so exciting. Now you can watch those bizarre movies from Kababeque on the big screen. There will also be food, dancing and henna. 5p.m. to 11 p.m. $50 to $250. The Fox Theatre, 17 W. Congress St.

Sunday

UA Steel Bands – This concert will feature Trinidadian steel band music as well as adaptations of modern pop and jazz tunes. They probably don’t take requests, but I’ll be there hoping for “”Freebird.”” 3 p.m. $5 to $9. Crowder Hall

Monday

“”Lady Terminator”” – The trailer of this Indonesian action film features a woman cutting out her eyeballs and dropping them in the sink, a black wormy thing that crawls up vaginas and explodes out through the stomach and a lot of random explosions. 8 p.m. $2. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Tuesday

UA World Music Gang – This group performs music from all over the world. Another opportunity for “”Free Bird.”” 7:30 p.m. Free. Crowder Hall

Wednesday

The Business of FOX: An Insider’s Look at Fox Broadcasting Company and MySpace – An attorney for Business and Legal Affairs will talk about their negotiations with American Idol, Photobucket and MySpace. 4 to 5 p.m. Free. Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center, Room 130