Fashion touches down in the desert

Zang Toi paid homage to the famous skyline of his beloved city with New York-emblazoned dresses, the stunning grand finale for Scottsdale Fashion Weeks closing show.
    Zang Toi paid homage to the famous skyline of his beloved city with New York-emblazoned dresses, the stunning grand finale for Scottsdale Fashion Week’s closing show.

As opposed to fashion weeks in other cities, such as New York or Paris, Scottsdale’s fashion week prides itself on showing fashions that can be promptly bought and worn by the audience for the current season. Scottsdale Fashion Week did a great job mixing underground fashion and high couture at its third annual event. With two runways presenting shows all day Friday and Saturday, and booths featuring local stores and boutiques, more than 33,000 people from all over got to see a little bit of everything.

“”It’s every girl’s dream to come to a fashion week,”” said speech, language and hearing sciences sophomore Kayla Patrick. “”This one was on a weekend that we could go ahead and make the trip, and I am having a blast.””

Kymberly Harris, a journalism senior, echoed Patrick’s sentiment about making the trip from Tucson to the valley.

“”I’m getting ready to shop for some winter clothes,”” Harris said. “”This was a really good place to see what was trendy.””

– Alexa Blair Miller

Styles: Quadrumvirate of trends reigns over the runways

By Alexa Blair Miller

Rejoice, ladies of all shapes and all sizes! After a long hiatus, it’s finally back, the one article of clothing that flatters every body type: the high-waisted skirt!

Whether poofed out or body hugging, black, purple or multicolored, this must-have appeared in many shows during Scottsdale Fashion Week, including Dillard’s, Theory and Marciano.

The cut of this skirt brings attention to the smallest part of any woman’s body: her waist. The end result is a flattering silhouette, regardless of body type.

“”Girls with a little (extra) tummy can bring the skirt to a high waist and it will hide it all in there,”” said Rebecca Weinberg, Emmy-winning “”Sex and the City”” stylist, during her Dillard’s fashion show. “”Working that high waist makes (anyone) look so long and lean!””

An added bonus is the versatility high-waisted skirts offer. For a professional look, pair one with tights and a silk blouse; for something a little flashier, add a belt and some fun accessories. Either way, Weinberg says, “”it gives a stylish alternative to pants.””

By Becca Lesser

Moss Spa showcased earth-toned jewels and woodgrain print bikinis, while Lululemon’s collection featured mottled, earthy textiles and leaf print sports bras. Flowers dominated the spring collection from Allison Leigh, where delicate floral patterns covered sundresses, tanks and tunics. JPJ Fashions also integrated roses into its collection with a rose motif minidress and rosette-edged shifts.

Richly hued satin and silk made an appearance in nearly every show at Southbridge. Male models at JPJ Fashions looked sharp in sleek crimson satin button-downs while Amelia Walsh R.A.W. featured sophisticated burgundy tie-front blouses perfect for pairing with high-waisted skirts.

Not a pair of skinny jeans was sighted on the runway this season. In fact, there were very few bottoms at all. Instead, designers are replacing traditional pants with stockings and leggings. Polka dot and striped varieties stood out at Angela Johnson, while Cinzia’s show took a more subdued approach with bronze stockings.

Naven: Twins endow new line with girly vintage appeal

By Becca Lesser

For twins Alexis and Kymberley McClay, sibling rivalry has never been a problem. The Vancouver natives joined forces more than a year ago to become the masterminds of the chic clothing line, Naven Apparel.

“”Naven is a women’s contemporary line based in Los Angeles. All our clothes are silks and fine fabrics; their unique designs have kind of a very girly vintage appeal to them,”” said the team’s business half, Alexis.

Kymberley, who serves as the company’s designer, attended the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising and started her design career with jeans line Von Dutch. After leaving her days of denim design behind, Kymberley chose a different aesthetic for her own line.

“”(Naven) has a classic form with a bit of a twist: It’s really young, fresh pop colors,”” she said.

Kymberley draws inspiration from European designers, as well as Michael Kors and Marc Jacobs, who she says is definitely her mentor.

“”We try to bring trends from the runway and incorporate them into everyday wearable clothing,”” Alexis said. “”It’s kind of like the perfect dream closet (customers) can imagine: having every single piece being really beautiful.””

Alexis said this season their collection has “”a lot of a Victorian feel to it, such as the over-exaggerated cuffs and wide collars.””

Since their start, Naven’s clothing has been spotted on celebrities like Lauren Conrad and Kim Kardashian. The line has been picked up by boutiques in Miami, New York, California and Canada. Naven’s success continued at Scottsdale Fashion Week, where the sisters sold out of several blouse and dress styles by midday Saturday. Though they are unsure whether they will be back for the show next year, the sisters plan to continue working as a team.

“”We’ve always wanted to work together,”” Alexis said. “”It’s been fantastic. Working with family gets tough sometimes, but ultimately, when we’re hard on each other, it’s because we want to see each other succeed. We’ve always just wanted to make this a tangible dream.””

Rundown: Plethora of fantastic fashions pleases eyes

By Becca Lesser

Europe has its runways in Paris and Milan; New York has Mercedes Benz and Olympus Fashion Week. After the lights dimmed on the Southbridge runway Saturday night, Arizona can stake its claim in the fashion industry with Scottsdale Fashion Week.

Just across the canal and separate from the “”Main Tent,”” Southbridge’s program featured a dozen collections from independent labels and up-and-coming designers.

Lululemon: This yoga and athletic line featured active wear for “”sweaty pursuits.”” Models sported nature-inspired tanks, bright colored capris and preppy polos while performing yoga poses and spinning basketballs down the runway.

“”The nontraditional runway walks brought a little extra something to the stage today,”” said attendee Rachel Heagh, a student at Paradise Valley Community College.

Angela Johnson: Reworked vintage and thrifted tees made into one-of-a-kind dresses, gowns and corsets. Easily the most playful show of the night, with infectious sugar-themed runway tunes (think “”Laffy Taffy”” and “”Candyman””) intertwined with clips from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory blasting through the runway speakers.

Bri Bridge: The flop of the night. Bri Bridge Couture’s collection of reconstructed scraps screamed “”home-sewn,”” while the models’ ratted hair and smudged makeup looked trashy. Bri Bridge unsuccessfully tried to pass off ripped tees as couture and oversized men’s blazers as dresses. If I wanted a dress made out of a T-shirt, I’d ask the girl next to me in the Zona Zoo.

Barking Fire: The Lion King’s costume designer, Patricia Fistes-Adams, gave a spectacular closing show with her five-set collection.

“”I thought it was amazing and put on well,”” said UA communication sophomore Malia Anderson, adding that the Barking Fire show was “”by far my favorite.””

More an acrobatic exhibition of ethereal costumes than a runway show, models leaped and danced down the catwalk. Most “”ooh-and-aah”” inducing to the audience, titled “”Each Hand Led Must Follow Suit,”” was a dazzling white ball gown and train studded with butterflies.

By Alexa Blair Miller

But across the way in the main tent, the fashion was just as eye-popping and varied as that at Southbridge.

Dillard’s: “”I think what we tried to do was very classic,”” said stylist Rebecca Weinberg. “”I tried to make it real style for real people.””

Although they were real, the styles were very New York sophisticate. One example of how Dillard’s gave a new look to an old favorite was taking a classic trench and pairing it with leggings, turning the coat into a dress. This show was fun to watch and listen to. Weinberg did a fantastic job entertaining the audience with funny and lively commentary as models walked the runway.

Theory: Theory’s daytime look was simple and chic. Most of the line used classics colors, such as red, navy and khaki for striped shirts, pants and tailored jackets.

Theory did take some chances with bold dresses; they mixed bright colors like purples and oranges, which definitely made more of a statement than the other pieces.

“”I thought the clothes were trendy, but more conservative,”” said journalism senior Kymberly Harris.

Marciano: “”It was young, hip and chic. The clothes were definitely something I would like to wear,”” said speech, language and hearing sciences sophomore Kayla Patrick.

Marciano prides itself on being sexy and sophisticated. The Holiday line featured silk dresses and blouses, as well as tight pencil skirts in black and jewel-toned colors accented with black lace. The models wore dark red lipstick and heavy lashes, giving the show an alluring 1920s feel.

Nordstrom: From Michael Kors to Zanella, Nordstom showed off a well-rounded mix of labels. A nice touch was having each line give its own separate mini show.

“”(Many brands) used an interesting mix of color and texture at the same time,”” said attendee Abby Jacobs.

Rolf’s: Lest you think Fashion Week is only about the clothes, Rolf’s Salon was there to ensure would-be fashionistas didn’t neglect their crowning glory. In an innovative and entertaining show, Rolf’s presented “”The History of Hair”” from 1900 to now. The salon showcased a hairstyle from each decade, paired with complementary makeup and fashion, and mixed it up by having stylists fixing hair right on the runway.

Zang Toi: This display of elegant gowns with ruffles and masterful sequin detail in the form of flowers, butterflies and the New York City skyline was the perfect swan song for fashion week.

Zang Toi: New Yorker pays homage in Scottsdale

By Alexa Blair Miller

Zang Toi is in a New York state of mind.

“”I have traveled all over the world, but there is no place like New York,”” said Toi, a well-known and successful fashion designer. “”There is an amazing energy (there) that you don’t get anywhere else.””

Originally from Kelantan, Malaysia, Toi arrived in the “”city that never sleeps”” when he was 20 years old. He graduated from Parsons School of Design in 1984 and was discovered in 1989 by a Vogue editor who used one of his dresses on the cover. Last February, his 20-year career came full circle when Toi held the coveted post of New York Fashion Week closer.

“”It was great,”” Toi said with a smile. “”I didn’t even think about it – I knew I had a show on the last day, but it didn’t even occur to me that I was closing fashion week.””

It was a position he found himself in once again as Scottsdale Fashion Week came to an end Saturday night. His first collection had a Parisian influence, with red minidresses and pink gowns embellished with delicate flowers and butterflies, but his second collection was comprised of stunning pieces that paid homage to Toi’s beloved East Coast city.

“”I wanted to do the most beautiful and dramatic skyline of New York,”” said Toi, who carefully adorned his elegant suits and A-line, empire and strapless gowns with masterfully sequined images.

The inspiration for the collection came from unexpected places. A black silk and satin one-shouldered gown adorned with mirrors like windows on a skyscraper was born when Toi was looking out the window of his studio.

“”It’s the No. 9 building and reflection of the Crown building,”” Toi said.

His favorite piece was the grand finale, a beautiful white suit and a floor-length cape with a black sequined skyline of New York that Toi said he felt “”really epitomized my New York collection.””

Watching his sparkly city sashay down the runway as Frank Sinatra’s “”New York, New York”” played in the background, Toi said he felt right at home – even though he was almost 2,500 miles away.