Softball splits series against two Bulldogs

Arizona softball started off its double header with a 9-0 victory over the Fresno State Bulldogs in six innings and later fell to the Georgia Bulldogs by a score of 0-3.

Junior pitcher Kenzie Fowler allowed just four out of 22 Fresno State Bulldogs to reach base while seniors Lini Koria, and Jessica Spigner and junior Brigette Del Ponte scored two runs each.

Senior Kristen Arriola and freshman Shelby Pendley both had RBI walks with the bases loaded, giving the Wildcats a comfortable lead. Arriola recorded her 11th walk and 11th RBI of the season. Spigner and Del Ponte both had RBIs in the fourth inning as well, pushing the lead to 6-0 and finished with a homer by Spigner.

Coming off a solid win, the Wildcats then faced a higher ranked team for the first time this season against No. 13 Georgia. Arizona was unable to bring it home with runners in scoring position in the first three innings.

Sophomore pitcher Shelby Babcock allowed five walks and three runs with eight strikeouts. Senior outfielder Karissa Buchanan barely missed hitting a home run with one out in the second inning.

The team was unable to get runners on base toward the end of the game with only Spigner getting walked in the sixth. This is the second consecutive loss for Arizona against Gerogia in the Cathedral Classic.

The tournament continues through Sunday on Wrigley Field in Palm Springs, Calif., with the Wildcats set to face No. 21 Oklahoma State, Fordham, Syracuse and Long Beach State.