7 jailed for Swedish helicopter heist

STOCKHOLM — Seven men were jailed Thursday for a dramatic helicopter robbery at a cash depot in Stockholm last year.

Two of the defendants received seven-year jail terms for aggravated robbery. One of those was the pilot of the stolen helicopter used in the heist.

Four other men were sentenced to between two and five years as accomplices, the district court in Sodertorn, just south of the capital, ruled. A seventh man received a year-long prison term for shielding a fugitive.

The court last month ordered the release of three other men in the case while the prosecution had requested the trio be sentenced to 10 years each for their part in the robbery.

Prosecutor Leif Gorts told reporters Thursday he had wanted stiffer sentences for several defendants while the pilot’s attorney, Leif Silbersky, said his client would appeal his seven-year jail term.

In all, 10 men were on trial but police believed several more suspects took part in the raid including two men who were in the cash depot. Most of the stolen $5.3 million is still missing.

Only one of the defendants has conceded he was at the crime scene where traces of his DNA were found.

He received a seven-year jail term. During the trial he denied threatening employees at the cash depot although he was carrying an automatic rifle during the raid.