Football notes: Linebacker calls it quits

Larry Hogan/Arizona Daily Wildcat

Linebacker Rob Hankins, who started a year ago, may not play another down for the Wildcats, Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez told the media Monday.

According to a Facebook post from his father, Rob Hankins, Sr., the sophomore linebacker is retiring due to a “serious concussion”.
Hankins has missed both games this season and time in fall camp with concussion-like symptoms.

In 2011, Hankins played in only three games before concussion problems sidelined him for the remainder of the season. He had 10 total tackles in his game action.

Bonano receives Pac-12 honor

Senior kicker John Bonano was named Pac-12 Special Teams Player of the Week, the conference announced Monday.

Bonano had a bounce-back game against the Cowboys after the game against Toledo, where he missed two field goals of less than 30 yards.

“It’s great to have a comeback like that,” Bonano said. “I put last week behind me at the first practice this week. It’s big knowing that he’d (Rodriguez) still let me go out there and do my job.”

Bonano earned the award after a perfect night for the Arizona kicking game against Oklahoma State in the Wildcats 59-38 win.

Bonano made all three of his field goal attempts, including a 46-yard kick, and all six of his extra point attempts.

“He’s a quality guy, and a talented guy as well,” Rodriguez said of Bonano.

Team not making much out of No. 24 ranking

Following Saturday’s win over Oklahoma State, both the Associated Press poll and the USA Today poll had the Wildcats ranked in their Top 25.

In the AP Top 25, Arizona is ranked No. 24 and the USA Today has the Wildcats last, at No. 25.

Rodriguez said last week that the quickest way for his Arizona team to become relevant again was to beat a ranked opponent, which they accomplished in their 21-point upset of then-ranked Oklahoma State.

“I used that reference to make sure we were focused for that game,” Rodriguez said. “The ranking is nice for fans, and we’re glad to have it, but we talked about sticking with the game plan. Have we arrived? It’s yet to be seen.”

59 points not enough for Rodriguez

Despite scoring the most points for an Arizona team since playing the Citadel in the second week of the 2010 season, Rodriguez is not happy with the way his team is running the ball.

“I’m disappointed in the run game,” he said. “I think there’s another level we can go offensively. We need to do a better job opening holes.”

Against Oklahoma State, sophomore running back Ka’Deem Carey had 126 yards on 26 carries, which led the team. But, at halftime, Carey only had 27 yards and said after the game that he was staying patient with his offensive linemen waiting for something bigger to open up. His patience paid off, as he ran for two scoring runs more than 25 yards in the second half.

“It’s always a challenge to establish the run against a good team,” left guard Chris Putton said. “We’re working at it every day. Our focus is getting movement. We would love to run more.”