Avery Weems: From Community College to Division I

Logan Cook
Arizona baseball’s junior pitcher Avery Weems (27) throws a pitch from the mound during a game.

After playing two years at a community college, junior Avery Weems is ready to make a difference at Arizona.

Avery Weems is a left-handed pitcher who played his first two seasons at Yavapai College. In 2016 he pitched 57 2/3 innings and finished with a 4-1 record and 3.90 ERA in 14 appearances. His sophomore season he pitched 65 1/3 innings and ended the season with a 2.89 ERA and had a 6-4 record with five complete games. 

Weems is a player head coach Jay Johnson has wanted for years.

“Avery is a player we’ve been looking at and wanting since his freshman year, and it’s exciting to finally have him,” Johnson said.

Weems has been getting adjusted to the way Arizona runs both practices and everyday life. He talked about how the seniors and other older players have helped him adjust. 

“Everything has been running a little bit fast being a transfer and everything, but having the older guys around slows it down for sure. I think the younger guys and the transfers have a hard time transferring in with the signs and everything new that we do. For the most part, I think it’s been really good and we’re way ahead of where we need to be,” Weems said.

He also talked about what he’s expecting this year from the team as a whole and what they should be able to accomplish.

“I think we’re really going to make a statement this year. And the talent that we have and the work ethic and the older guys leading the way … we have a really good chance to make a statement early in the season,” said Weems.

Transferring from a community college to a Division I university is not easy for many, but Weems focused on what he had to do and who he had to rely on to be able to be successful and have a good time.

“Being a transfer and being a junior, you come in with your own pre-set mentality. But I definitely ask my fair share of questions because they kind of do it different here. They’ve definitely helped me out.”

After a successful community college run and having had Johnson wanting him to come to Arizona for so long, it’s time to see what he can do.