Arizona head coach Sean Miller addresses sweating episode from NCAA Tournament

Jesus Barrera
Arizona basketball coach Sean Miller yells at a referee during Arizona’s game against Wichita State on Thursday March 17 in Providence, Rhode Island.

Arizona head coach Sean Miller addressed a question at a press conference Wednesday afternoon concerning his profuse sweating during the Wildcats’ NCAA Tournament opening round loss to Wichita State last month.

Television cameras showed Miller soaked in perspiration during the first half of Arizona’s 65-55 loss to the Shockers.

“I want to clarify one thing,” Miller said. “I didn’t sweat on that day any more. It’s that I didn’t try out the shirt that I wore.”

According to Miller, he was offered a shirt positioned as “being more breathable” —  meaning, it had less material. Miller admitted that he did not try on the shirt before the game.

Miller also admitted that he did not wear an undershirt.

“I never really wore a t-shirt under it,” Miller said. “It never affected that before.”

Following Arizona’s loss, Miller became aware that his sweating episode had gained internet infamy.

“It was really unbeknownst to me how I looked,” Miller said. “I just thought I was going through a normal game. After the game, I figured it out quite a bit.”

Miller said he has received multiple boxes of shirts, including a box from the CEO of Tommy John, over the past few weeks.

“I mean, this has worked out well for me,” Miller said. “The embarrassment of it has been offset by the product endorsement. I really believe this, that whatever shirt I put on in a year from now, I’m in for some major league endorsement opportunities.”

Miller did acknowledge delight that the sweating incident took attention off Arizona’s performance in the opening round loss. The Wildcats shot just 42 percent in the defeat and committed 19 turnovers. 

“If anything, I think more people talked about me and less about our team
and that may be a good thing,” Miller said. 

Follow Ezra Amacher on Twitter.