Club Notebook: Men’s soccer defeats U.S. Marines team

Club sports are officially underway. The Arizona men’s club soccer team defeated the U.S. Marines team in a 2-1 battle Tuesday in Tucson.

The game started off with a huge save in the 21st minute by freshman goalie Tristan Telesca. This was Telesca’s first game played on the men’s club team.

Arizona responded with a goal from defender Mac Merchant, who was able to get a header on the ball for a perfect corner netting of off an Arizona corner.

The Marines dug deep to respond with a goal in the 74th minute to even the score.

The game’s possession remained up for grabs, as both teams continued quick passes and solid attempts for shots on goal throughout the game.

Lalo Miranda rose to the occasion with a goal towards the tail end of the game for the Wildcats. He scored with fancy footwork while tricking two defenders to win the game for Arizona.

The men’s club soccer team remains undefeated, 2-0. The team will continue onto the regional tournament at the end of the October. If the men’s team delivers, they will compete in the national tournament at the end of November, which is held in Phoenix.

The Wildcats were very efficient in their 2-1 victory over the U.S. Marines.

“We could be more efficient in our passing and physicality,” team captain Chad Ahrensdorf said.

The team was prepared to play a gritty battle till the end. However, there was also a certain level of respect the players had for the Marines, and a competitive nature for the love of the game.

“It was a great experience to play against the [U.S.] Marines, loved the crowd out there [supporting] both teams,” midfielder Zack Shakur said. “This win is huge for us because we played against a great opponent and [we’re] looking forward to play against [ASU] because they’re the team to beat in our region.”

The team will continue its road toward the regional and national tournaments.

Arizona will play next on Sept. 13 against NAU in Flagstaff. The next home game will be on Oct. 2 at William David Sitton Field located by the Student Recreation Center.

Follow Gia Trevisan on Twitter.