Letter from the editor: Mourn the loss

A member of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity died this weekend and police are investigating the cause of death, though no foul play is suspected.

It’s times like these, before jumping to conclusions or making off-color jokes about fraternity parties, that it’s important to remember the severity of what has happened.

A student at this university died.

Wilson Forrester was a pre-physiology sophomore from Nashville, Tenn. He was a member of Phi Gamma Delta, a brother, a son, and a friend to many. His cause of death is unknown, but his life should be remembered.

I didn’t know him. With 39,000 students at the UA, it’s impossible to know every one. But each of us has a bond by just being Wildcats.

I’ve gotten a hysterical phone call at 2 a.m. from a fraternity member crying over a drunk driver who hit his brother. I’ve talked with the somber mother of a deceased UA student who died in a single-car accident. I didn’t know them, but not knowing is not the same as not caring. Sometimes people simply need a shoulder to cry on, arms to hold them, or a quiet listener.

Two years ago, a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity died and rumors circulated. His friends, family, and fraternity brothers had to not only endure the loss of a friend and a son, but the stinging words and judgment of misinformed people. Phi Kappa Psi member Andrew J. Segal died from natural causes, but the report wasn’t released until the next month. Those are weeks in which mourning and grieving was tainted with accusations.

Let’s hope that this time, the cause of death is not what people focus on.

If you knew Wilson Forrester, my thoughts and prayers are with you. If you did not, I hope you will treat this tragedy on our campus with the respect it deserves.

Whatever your thoughts on fraternities or college parties, I hope you care about the loss of a fellow student. I hope you care about the hundreds of students grieving. I hope you care about the family that has to travel to Arizona to say goodbye to their son.

I hope you care about Wilson Forrester.