Track and field earns two first place finishes in Albuquerque

Arizona track and field claimed two first place finishes and set several personal best records this weekend at the New Mexico Classic in Albuquerque, N.M.

For the women’s team, senior thrower Taylor Freeman earned a first place finish on Friday with a personal best toss of 62-feet-1.75-inches. Freeman has thrown the three best marks of her career in three weight throw competitions this season.

“I felt well throwing today but I know I have a lot more in me,” Freeman said in a press release. “It’s a great confidence boost to have thrown the top three marks of my career and I believe I will only get better as we go further into the season.”

Sophomore thrower Baillie Gibson also fared well in competition, setting a personal best toss of 59-feet-1.50-inches, which was good enough for third place.

In the 200-meter dash, sophomore sprinter Branden Helms clocked a time of 22.32 and placed 11th for the men’s team. With a time of 22.54, sophomore sprinter Mohammad Alhasan placed 17th. Right behind Alhasan was sophomore sprinter Siraaj Ghori, who clocked a time of 22.67, a personal best.

On Saturday, the woman’s team swept the shot put competition. Senior thrower Julie Labonté placed first in the shot put with a season-best mark of 56-feet-10.25-inches. With a mark of 55-feet-4.75-inches, junior Alyssa Hasslen finished second, Gibson finished in third place, posting a mark of 50-feet-11-inches, and senior Omotayo Talabi tossed a 50-feet-2.75-inches, which was good for fourth place.

This past week the men’s track team moved up three places in the latest polls to reach the No. 10 spot. The women’s team, however, fell to the No. 13 spot. The Wildcats will compete next weekend in the Husky Invitational in Seattle,Wash.