Police Beat: September 11

A sign of intoxication
    Two UA students were arrested on charges of minor in possession on Saturday after an officer from the University of Arizona Police Department observed them standing on the corner of Cherry Avenue and Speedway Boulevard at approximately 12:32 a.m. One of the students picked up a “No Right Turn” sign mounted on a post and began doing bench presses with the sign.

After about five presses, the student threw the sign in the gravel between the sidewalk and the parking lot of a sorority house. The officer spoke with the student who threw the sign and asked for identification.

The student said he was just fooling around, and that it was stupid of him to throw the sign.

He had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath and bloodshot eyes, and the officer noted that he was mumbling as he spoke. The student admitted to drinking a few beers at an off-campus party, but was unable to say where the party was or who had provided the beer. A sergeant also arrived and noted there was no damage to the sign.

The officer then spoke with the second man and got ID from him. He also had the smell of alcohol on his breath, slurred speech and bloodshot eyes.

The student admitted to having a few sips of beer, but would also not say where he had been drinking or who had provided the beer. Both students were arrested, cited and released, and code of conduct violations were completed.

Out of control
    A UA student was transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center by ambulance for extreme intoxication on Saturday at approximately 2:15 a.m.

An officer went to a residence hall at approximately 1:54 a.m. in response to a call for medical assistance. When the officer arrived, a woman was lying on the floor in a dorm room, being evaluated by Student Emergency Medical Services.

The woman was uncooperative and was not answering SEMS’s questions. She smelled strongly of alcohol, and it looked like she had urinated in the room.

The room’s resident identified the woman and said she believed she lived on the third floor of a different residence hall.

The resident then told the officer that the woman on the floor had started drinking at 2 p.m. on Friday and continued drinking until midnight. They had attended a party together at a house north of campus, where the woman had had mixed drinks and had possibly taken shots as well.

She had to be carried back up to the dorm room, the resident added.

Tucson Fire Department then arrived to evaluate the woman, who continued to be uncooperative and at one point told the paramedic to “fuck off,” giving him the middle finger.

When another member of TFD asked her what her date of birth was, she responded, “Birth control.”

TFD said that the woman was not medically cleared to stay on campus and had an ambulance transport her to UAMC for treatment.

At approximately 5:45 a.m., the officer followed up with the girl in her hospital room, where she was arrested, cited and released for minor in possession of liquor in body. She was also issued a code of conduct violation through the Dean of Students office.

Off the rails
    A taxi driver and a UA fraternity member got into an altercation over damage to a taxi van on Saturday at approximately 2:14 a.m.

When UAPD officers went to the area after receiving a call that a possible fight was in progress, a taxi driver called the officer over and said he was the one who had placed the call.

He said he was approaching a stop sign on First Street when a man grabbed the passenger side sliding door of his van and ripped it off its track. The van was still in motion at the time.

The taxi driver said he quickly stopped his van and tried to talk to the man regarding the damage done to the van, but the man ran from the area. There were a few others with him, who called out the man’s name. When the taxi driver chased the men, they ran into a fraternity house.

The taxi driver told the officer that if he could speak with the man involved, he would not pursue charges and would work it out between them, but that if he was not cooperative, he would press charges.

The officer spoke with president of the fraternity, who found the man inside the house and brought him back to the officer and taxi driver.

The man, a UA student over the age of 21, showed signs of intoxication. He spoke with the taxi driver about the van, and they agreed to handle the matter between themselves.

The fraternity president assured the officer that the fraternity would keep after the student to handle his business with the taxi driver.