Women’s basketball lose sixth straight, now 2-10 in Pac-12

Logan Cook

Arizona’s Breanna Workman (0) attempts a layup while defending Oregon State’s Mikayla Pivec (0) during the Women’s Basketball game on Feb. 5 in McKale Memorial Center.

The Arizona women’s basketball team was looking to snap a five-game losing streak against No. 11 Oregon State in McKale Center on Sunday afternoon, but the Wildcats came up short at the end of the game, losing 65-57.

With the loss, Arizona falls to 11-12 (2-10 Pac-12 Conference) for the season.

Once again, a slow start proved to be too much to overcome for Arizona, as Oregon State took a quick 8-0 lead. Arizona was playing from behind all game, scoring points in short spurts, but they were unable to close the gap.

“We’re so even every other quarter except for the first one,” said senior forward Breanna Workman. “We have to find our shots early in the game, because that’s the only difference in all of our losses.”

When head coach Adia Barnes was asked about a potential change to the starting lineup to help avoid the slow starts, Barnes left little doubt about her starting lineup’s ability to bounce back from their early-game slumps.

“No,” Barnes said. “I thought we were being aggressive. I thought Lauren [Evans’] defense was really good. I thought Charise [Holloway] gave good minutes. I thought Dejza [James] did some good things. I thought everybody kind of did their job. I thought we played much smarter tonight.”

Arizona made defensive adjustments after the team dropped their last game to Oregon, focusing more on a full court press type of defense instead of man-to-man defense.

“Before we always did more of a contain press,” Barnes said. “I thought we should try a more aggressive press, but they’re a great team.”

The defensive adjustment paid dividends for Barnes’ team, as the Wildcats forced 19 turnovers that led to 17 of the team’s 57 points for the game.

Arizona will have five days to rest before they hit the road against Washington on Friday, Feb. 10 at 9 p.m. MST. The Wildcats will look to break their losing streak and climb back to .500 on the season.

Follow Varun Iyer on Twitter

Follow Chase Becker on Twitter